Can log file show only error files?

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
jharris1993

Can log file show only error files?

#1 Post by jharris1993 »

Greetings!

In my case I have "accidentally" deleted many gigs of files on an external ext formatted SSD which I am trying to recover.
("accidentally" = a copy operation failed and totally screwed things up.)

I do not believe the structure of the filesystem is damaged, and if so, I do not believe it to be severe.

After a few false starts, I finally was able to get the recovery working smoothly, but the recovery log file becomes huge, (almost 200 gigs before crashing), eventually filling all available disk space which then causes the recovery to fail massively, forcing me to restart the recovery without a log file.

While I anticipate successfully recovering the lions share of the data, there may be a relatively small number of files that just don''t come back, which I can restore from other sources so knowing which files were not recoverable is valuable to me.

Reviewing the log file discloses a lot of data which might be useful, but what would be most useful to me would be to know which files, (with path), did not recover.

Since I expect the number of failed files to be relatively small, is there a way to limit the amount of information stored in the log file to recovery errors?

Corollary question:
Assume the recovery succeeds with a lot of recovered files, (millions - the equivalent of four or five complete Linux filesystem rsync backups), and (for example) five files that did not recover.

Is it possible to re-run the recovery that does everything EXCEPT actually write to the destination drive, (or some kind of scan), that will tell me which five files didn't recover? I am interested in discovering this without taking the huge amounts of time writing to the destination media requires.

Thanks!
Last edited by jharris1993 on 20 Nov 2021, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

recuperation

Re: Can log file show only error files?

#2 Post by recuperation »

Your description is very thin. Which software are you talking about?

jharris1993

#3 Post by jharris1993 »

I'm asking about testdisk and undeleting files - this is the correct forum, right?

System: Mint 19.3 running in a VMware virtual machine.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

What is the size of your external SSD drive?
How many files did Testdisk copy?
Show the first 20 kByte of your log file using a hex editor.