Filesystem corrupted each time I turn on PC

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Maurogcha

Filesystem corrupted each time I turn on PC

#1 Post by Maurogcha »

I have a strange problem, the mother of my pc broke, when I changed it 2 of my 4 HDD weren't loading in windows 7, as it asked to format them. Testdisk would say that the 2tb disk had 1tb~, and the 1tb disk had 30mb~ and it couldn't recover the partitions.

Next I tried Ubuntu live. When entering ubuntu, it would recognize all the disks, and it could browse them perfectly. A testdisk run in ubuntu would say they were ok, but I did a [write] of the partitions anyway.
So a reseted and loaded windows again, then it recognized all the hdds just fine. Ok, problem solved I said. But after shutting down the pc, the next day after loading windows, it wouldn't recognize the hdds again.

After a few tests I discovered that by only running ubuntu, and doing nothing else, then reseting, windows would recognize the hdds. You could even reset windows as many times you want, and it will recognize the hdds, but if you shut down the pc windows wouldn't recognise them and ask to format again. You then will have to load ubuntu again to recognize the hdd first.

I tried, changing the mother to no avail, running testdisk in windows after running ubuntu (so windows could read the disk) and writing the partition table again, changing the partitions from logical to primary with Acronis (again after running ubuntu first, so it could recognize the hdds).

My last resort is backuping all the info and formatting from windows, but I'm postponing that as I can't backup the 2tb disk as I don't have where to.

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding this matter. Thanks in advance

Maurogcha

Re: Filesystem corrupted each time I turn on PC

#2 Post by Maurogcha »

I tried hibernating Windows 7. After a day, after loading the system, explorer could view the disk, but when you try to browse them, there gives an error, and asks to format... could this mean that there's a mechanical problem with the disks?

Fiona

Re: Filesystem corrupted each time I turn on PC

#3 Post by Fiona »

could this mean that there's a mechanical problem with the disks?
Your problem only occurs under windows?
Please check your HDD's in your BIOS.
If they recognized correctly, have a try to reinstall your chipset driver.
If available update your BIOS, set your BIOS back to default (most F5 key).
If this doesn't work, please let me know.