Brand New WD Red 8TB Topic is solved

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
montag

Brand New WD Red 8TB

#1 Post by montag »

I bought an 8TB WD Red and I noticed that some videos ended prematurely and some subtitles were missing. I investigated with TestDisk a month or so ago and it found several sectors which it believes to be unrecoverable.

I RMA'd the drive and went to Best Buy to buy a replacement so I could have an 8TB drive while I waited for the one from WD, as I had read that WD has become notoriously slow as regards drive exchanges. This new drive is also a WD Red, partially because it's what they had in the store.

About a week later, I ran TestDisk. It found several bad sectors. I found some articles online about repairing damaged file systems and such, but after running TestDisk again last night, it turns out it didn't help. I just don't get it. How can this be? I'd understand more if these two drives were from the same batch, but they aren't. It's not even like they're the exact same model. Is it really possible that both of these drives could be defective? Or does TestDisk have a hard time with drives over a certain size?

Here's a link to my log file from last night's scan: https://pastebin.com/tEzHHqdy

recuperation

Re: Brand New WD Red 8TB

#2 Post by recuperation »

montag wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 22:08 I bought an 8TB WD Red and I noticed that some videos ended prematurely and some subtitles were missing.
You should complain with the seller who put the videos on your drive.

I investigated with TestDisk a month or so ago and it found several sectors which it believes to be unrecoverable.
Posting your log file right here when talking about it would not be a bad idea at all.

About a week later, I ran TestDisk. It found several bad sectors.
There is no information about bad sectors in your log file!
To check drive health look here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10910
I found some articles online about repairing damaged file systems and such, but after running TestDisk again last night, it turns out it didn't help.
Please post links to the articles. Partition tables can be repaired sometimes but the few repairs that Testdisk does on file system is rather the exception. Every other recovery software I know is recovering information to a different location but not repairing!
How can this be? I'd understand more if these two drives were from the same batch, but they aren't. It's not even like they're the exact same model. Is it really possible that both of these drives could be defective? Or does TestDisk have a hard time with drives over a certain size?
No, Testdisk does not have hard times with big drives.

Many explanations are possible. Here is just one that builds the foundations for later failure:
Amazon once send me 2,5'' drives perfectly packed. The next time they sent me 2,5'' drives in a letter envelope - a good precondition for invisible transport dammages that will show up later.

Creating and checking a SMART report when connecting the drive to mains is a good idea. Using tools like h2testw on windows or F3 on linux (unfortunately pretty slow) before putting data on the drive is something I do. I consider new drives as dubious products that have to prove that they work correctly.

montag

#3 Post by montag »

Huh.That's weird. I would have expected the error report to the include the bad cylinders. I've run TestDisk at least a couple times, but it always shows a list of supposedly bad sectors on the screen when finishes....8-10 hours later.

Well, here's the SMART report: https://pastebin.com/vFB6fyzz

Also, there was no seller who put videos on my drive. I didn't intentionally buy a drive with videos on it. I bought it at Best Buy and then loaded my own videos onto it.
Last edited by montag on 13 Dec 2021, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

When searching for partition, TestDisk may try to read past the end of the disk.
The log file you shared shows no bad sectors in the SMART history. So the problem may be with the videos you have copied, they may have been corrupted prior the copy.

montag

#5 Post by montag »

cgrenier wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 22:28 When searching for partition, TestDisk may try to read past the end of the disk.
The log file you shared shows no bad sectors in the SMART history. So the problem may be with the videos you have copied, they may have been corrupted prior the copy.
Is there a way to identify the corrupt files? In particular, is it possible to match the corrupt cylinders indentified by TestDisk to files?

recuperation

#6 Post by recuperation »

montag wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 05:59
cgrenier wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 22:28 When searching for partition, TestDisk may try to read past the end of the disk.
Is there a way to identify the corrupt files?
Yes, you can check them manually one by one.
In particular, is it possible to match the corrupt cylinders indentified by TestDisk to files?
There are no "corrupt cylinders".

montag

#7 Post by montag »

recuperation wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 11:23
montag wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 05:59
Is there a way to identify the corrupt files?
Yes, you can check them manually one by one.
In particular, is it possible to match the corrupt cylinders indentified by TestDisk to files?
There are no "corrupt cylinders".
Is it possible to match the unrecoverable partitions to files? I've still have a copy of the last log file.

recuperation

#8 Post by recuperation »

montag wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 19:07 Is it possible to match the unrecoverable partitions to files? I've still have a copy of the last log file.
?!

montag

#9 Post by montag »

recuperation wrote: 25 Dec 2021, 16:03
montag wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 19:07 Is it possible to match the unrecoverable partitions to files? I've still have a copy of the last log file.
?!
Is there a quick way to find the corrupt files?

recuperation

#10 Post by recuperation »

There is no use in asking the same questions again and again!

viewtopic.php?p=35377#p35377