Windows ReFS now is RAW

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
IronRod

Windows ReFS now is RAW

#1 Post by IronRod »

I have a Windows 10 Pro system which has two ReFS drives (first backed by two SSD, the second by two HDD). Just today, I noticed that the HDD ReFS drive now shows as RAW. Sadly, there are a number of such incidents listed on the internet -- just search "ReFS RAW".) This happened following the most recent cumulative update. NOTE: This happened June 2019 to the SSD ReFS drive. In that instance, after trying to figure out what happened, determining next steps, etc., after a few days the drive reappeared as normal as if nothing had ever happened. So, I'm hoping the same may happen here, but... In any case, I am DONE with ReFS. 'Resilient File System' what BS if there update can just take it out.

Can TestDisk recover the partition/file system in this situation? I suspect I know the answer but thought it was worth checking.

I have EaseUS and it can read the RAW disk and recover all files that it finds. I do have full backup (cloud) of this drive so I'm thinking that restoring from the backup will be better than trying to manually reconstruct the folder structure and repopulating the recovered files.

Constructive advise appreciated.

recuperation

Re: Windows ReFS now is RAW

#2 Post by recuperation »

From memory I don't know. I would simply look what is written on this page:

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

There is no ReFS mentioned.

IronRod

#3 Post by IronRod »

I've reviewed the Wiki and ran DiskTest. I guess my general question is, "How far can I go using TestDisk without changing the drive in anyway?"

In attached image "1 TestDisk", it shows that it found the "J:" drive (the one with the issue) as an MS Storage Space, that it finds "no partitioned media" (the Wiki indicates to *not* selected this as this is very rare), and that it does see an ReFS partition with the option for "Image Creation".

In attached image "2 TestDisk", it shows that it can see the physical drives, recognizes it as an EFI partition, and selecting the "Advanced" to use FileSystem Utils, it finds a "Storage Spaces" partition with the option for "Image Creation".

I've read about the "Image Creation" which allows creating the image in a separate file. Yet, the Wiki indicates that using this image to create a partition is -- well, problematic?

My thoughts are to attempt to see what TestDisk can do with the "J:" Storage Space it recognized and, if that isn't successful, see if it can do anything with either of the underlying physical drives. But I would want to be sure I understand at what point I reach a "no return"; i.e., that the next step would change the disk condition in any way.

Thoughts?
Attachments
1 TestDisk.jpg
1 TestDisk.jpg (157.42 KiB) Viewed 3650 times
2 TestDisk.jpg
2 TestDisk.jpg (216.64 KiB) Viewed 3650 times

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

You are misled by the fact that Testdisk showed you plaintext information for partition identifiers.
Recognizing the Chinese flag does not make me speaking Kantonese nor does Testdisk recognizing the partition identifier make it understand ReFS and Storage Places.

By the way, the mysterious DiskTest software might perhaps help you - I don't know what this is - this is the Testdisk forum here!

For testing purposes duplicate the drives in question to avoid any dammage. Users like to fool around with software on drives they never made a backup of.

And thanks alot for ignoring my statement about ReFS support and pretending that Testdisk supports ReFS, dear doubting Thomas.