qphotorec-software

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
anabetti58

qphotorec-software

#1 Post by anabetti58 »

hello, i don´t understand the option i have to select , once I select the disk and the partition, I have to select:
- 1) file system: ext2, ext3 .., or 2) fat / .. etc
and 1) free ...or 2) All..
What does this choice mean? can you clarify for me?
Regards,
BH

recuperation

Re: qphotorec-software

#2 Post by recuperation »

Please attach two screenshots to your posting by uploading them to this site and quote them inline.

anabetti58

#3 Post by anabetti58 »

I HAVE ATTACHED A SCREEN PHOTO OF THE PHOTOREC SOFTWARE, AND THE OPTIONS TO CHOOSE FROM... CAN YOU CLARIFY ME IN WHICH CASE I SHOULD CHOOSE EACH OF THEM.
REGARDS
Attachments
CHOICE : FREE ..OR ALL
CHOICE : FREE ..OR ALL
Screenshot_3.jpg (44.66 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
CHOICE : file system ..or Fat/NTFS..
CHOICE : file system ..or Fat/NTFS..
Screenshot_1.jpg (43.31 KiB) Viewed 3905 times

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

explanation of 2nd picture

To simplify and shorten my answer we only look at single disk drives, HDD (rotating hard drives) or SSD (solid state drives ["flash"]).
I leave out the fact that some people combine single devices (disk drives) into a combined pool.
This limited look excludes using RAID arrays, MS Windows "dynamic discs", MS Windows "storage places", technologies like ZFS, BTRFS and others.

Consider your disk as a big physical warehouse with one big empty space meaning just outer walls and no inner walls.

When this disk is being partitioned inner walls are set up. Now the warehouse is split up into rooms that we call partitions in case of a drive.
Unfortunately empty rooms are not that useful for storing stuff.
In the warehouse we fill one room with cupboards, the other one with shelves. Cupboards and shelves are our selected organizing tools to handle the stuff we want to store. On our drive cupboards and shelves are called file systems. There are different ones and they are not necessarily available on all computers.
Computers running MS Windows typically know file systems like FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, exFAT, ReFS. Linux computers often understand MS Windows file systems but others are more common: ext2, ext3, ext4, XFS, BTRFS, just to name some common ones.

Before being able to put files and folders onto a partition, sometimes called "volume" as well, although "volume" is a more general term, the partition has to be formated. Formating means putting a file system onto a partition.

explanation of 1st picture

In reality viewed from the operating system the drive consists of a certain number of sectors that can be read and written upon.
Partitions are ranges of sectors.
Typically drives don't start with a partition but with an inventory of partitions, called MBR or GPT. MBR is an inventory list of partitions whose data is held at the beginning of the drive and between partitions. GPT information is located at the beginning and the end of the drive. GPT is a more recent, and can be used on drives beyond 2TB where MBR has certain limitations.

Back to file systems!
File systems keep track of space used. Typically they don't manage sectors directly but combine them into blocks that are called "clusters" in the world of MS Windows file systems.
Now QPhotorec can be told to search across a complete drive. Given that healthy partitions exist Qphotorec can also be told to search sectors (clusters) that are not in use by a file system.

anabetti58

#5 Post by anabetti58 »

Hello, thank you very much for your answer, but the truth is that I have tried to recover 80 photos that I have on a memory card from a Kodak camera (now I cannot read them normally, that is, they are now in raw format) and I have not been able .
I enclose a screenshot with the result obtained with qphotorec.( 1)
Could you help me and tell me what I have to enable to recover the photos in format. jpg ?
Regards,
BH
Attachments
(1)
(1)
Screenshot_21.png (21.27 KiB) Viewed 3703 times