Ran bootrec commands on windows 10 laptop and now it shows whole 1tb (931gb) as free

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
bkd8

Ran bootrec commands on windows 10 laptop and now it shows whole 1tb (931gb) as free

#1 Post by bkd8 »

Greetings,
(with heavy heart :cry: )

Problem In Short: After an update, Windows 10 home single language edition showed “Bad System Config Info” error (BSOD). In a state of panic I googled this so called “stop code” and stumbled on to the following commands, which I ran (like I would die if I don’t):

Code: Select all

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bcdedit /export c:\bcdbakcup
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /rebuildbcd
Now, my whole 1tb (931gb) hdd is shown empty by diskpart. See disk 0 in the following image. Though, testdisk does show all deleted or lost partitions with labels (see third image), which is awesome. Only problem is i can't figure out how to get it back. Please help.

My attempts with testdisk so far:
1. I tried Analyze option but its taking 10min or more for 1%, i stopped at 29% .
2. Then i tried Advanced options, where i learn that data in all partitions are good, except EFI Partition which is corrupt.

It would be great if someone could help me in putting it all together like it was before, that is if possible. If not please let me know. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

recuperation

Re: Ran bootrec commands on windows 10 laptop and now it shows whole 1tb (931gb) as free

#2 Post by recuperation »

I apologize, I can't help you with repairing your broken installation. I have no experience with Windows 10 repairs.

You said that Testdisk took 10 min for 1% out of 1000GB. That translates into 1GB/min or 16,7 MB / sec. That seems to be to slow even for a 2,5'' drive with 5400 rpm.

The same advice I gave here
viewtopic.php?p=35630#p35630

applies for you as well.

After duplicating you can run Testdisk again and use the "p"-key "list files" to examine the remains of your drive content and duplicate your unaccessible data to another drive.

bkd8

Re: Ran bootrec commands on windows 10 laptop and now it shows whole 1tb (931gb) as free

#3 Post by bkd8 »

Thank you for replying. I Will try the advice mentioned in the link.
That being said, can you give any hints as to what might have gone wrong?
Partitions and Data are there, except ESP, is there any way to just build ESP with partition table information?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

bkd8 wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 18:23 That being said, can you give any hints as to what might have gone wrong?
No. Read here, I just added Point 17:
viewtopic.php?p=35633#p35633

Partitions and Data are there, except ESP, is there any way to just build ESP with partition table information?
Your Windows repair installation should do that for you.