My HDD from my old pc went raw and both photorec and testdisk aren't working

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Parable

My HDD from my old pc went raw and both photorec and testdisk aren't working

#1 Post by Parable »

This initially started when my 1TB moblie Seagate HDD (laptop HDD) ended up getting stuck on the windows recovery error when booting. Eventually I decided to take out the HDD to check out what was wrong. As I put in the drive I realized it was Raw. I then decied to use testdisk to see if I could fix the issue. I did an analysis of the partitions (for both quick search and deep search the partions came out empty). Eventually I opted to change type into NTFS directly (at the time I didn't know that my HDD was exFAT). I tried to rebuild the boot sector using NTFS but it had a bad boot sector and a bad port (amusingly it said both drives are identical). After doing this however, my HDD was gone from file explorer and started crashing disk manager. Testdisk could still see my HDD however the results are still the same as above. Also I have been getting the File system seems damaged and when using photorec I get zero files recovered. I'm pretty desperate this point and cannot afford file recovery services at all. Do you guys think that there's any hope here? I know I may have glossed over a few things here but I want a few opinios from a cursory glance at the situation.

recuperation

Re: My HDD from my old pc went raw and both photorec and testdisk aren't working

#2 Post by recuperation »

Parable wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 12:01 I tried to rebuild the boot sector using NTFS but it had a bad boot sector and a bad port (amusingly it said both drives are identical).
I don't know what a "bad port" is.
Please contact a professional recovery lab.

Parable

Re: My HDD from my old pc went raw and both photorec and testdisk aren't working

#3 Post by Parable »

I mistyped bad backup boot sector. Sorry about that! Also I don’t have the cash for that. I’m a college student so it’s either get that professional or be to afford rent and food.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Parable wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 15:02 Also I don’t have the cash for that. I’m a college student so it’s either get that professional or be to afford rent and food.
If I was a doctor and find out that you need heart surgery it does not matter if you have cash or not - I can't help you.