X BOOT drive repair

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
bootsectnull

X BOOT drive repair

#1 Post by bootsectnull »

hello, I am trying to repair a modified Boot sector. specifically for my X:Boot drive, the primary boot sector and backup boot sector don't match up. my PC got a nasty trojan about a year ago and it seems to have modified my boot records(C: drive is fine but X:BOOT recovery environment is what got hit for some reason). and while I did do multiple HDD wipes. every windows installation ends up being corrupted. I have tried using TestDisk to do the job but everytime I try to recover it, that same drive says it is write-protected. I am assuming my only other option would be to modify geometry of the disk but I dont how that could be possible since it's a ramdisk that's somehow built-in to the computer.

I have the BOOT DUMP for main and backup sectors . If you would like to take a look at it, I can private message you the txt file.

Thank you!

recuperation

Re: X BOOT drive repair

#2 Post by recuperation »

bootsectnull wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 08:53 hello, I am trying to repair a modified Boot sector. specifically for my X:Boot drive, the primary boot sector and backup boot sector don't match up. my PC got a nasty trojan about a year ago and it seems to have modified my boot records(C: drive is fine but X:BOOT recovery environment is what got hit for some reason). and while I did do multiple HDD wipes. every windows installation ends up being corrupted. I have tried using TestDisk to do the job but everytime I try to recover it, that same drive says it is write-protected. I am assuming my only other option would be to modify geometry of the disk but I dont how that could be possible since it's a ramdisk that's somehow built-in to the computer.

I have the BOOT DUMP for main and backup sectors . If you would like to take a look at it, I can private message you the txt file.

Thank you!
Your case description is incomprehensible but that does not matter because this forum is not the right place for your question. Please consult with another forum or contact a dedicated security company. Storing binary data in text file format is not helpful. Requesting private support and not posting your findings here contradicts the idea of this forum. Private mailing me is useless and if I don't respond to a question there is at least one reason for it.