external storage drive filesystem repair / partition recovery guidance needed Topic is solved

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
tbubah

Re: external storage drive filesystem repair / partition recovery guidance needed

#11 Post by tbubah »

Hi again, so following the step-by-step, I displayed files in the first partition shown in the previous post 0427-604pm screenshot, and there were all my folders! So I went back and changed the status to Primary (only choices were D or P, no L), left the other partitions as D and wrote the partition structure. After reboot, Windows still says the drive needs to be formatted, but TestDisk lists the one correct partition and correct folder contents. So I'm not sure what to do next. Do I need to use the Copy options within the file display to copy the files to another drive? Or use another program like PhotoRec to do the actual data recovery?
Attachments
testdisk-0428-101am.PNG
testdisk-0428-101am.PNG (27.57 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
testdisk-0428-100am.PNG
testdisk-0428-100am.PNG (17.23 KiB) Viewed 2499 times

tbubah

Re: external storage drive filesystem repair / partition recovery guidance needed

#12 Post by tbubah »

Running TestDisk Copy process now; will report back when done.

recuperation

#13 Post by recuperation »

The safest thing is to use Testdisk to copy the content to another location - this is the process that you already started.

tbubah

#14 Post by tbubah »

recuperation wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 20:51 The safest thing is to use Testdisk to copy the content to another location - this is the process that you already started.
testdisk-0429-2pm.PNG
testdisk-0429-2pm.PNG (4.11 KiB) Viewed 2363 times

Recuperation,

ALL FILES WITH FILNAMES AND FOLDERS RECOVERED!!

YOU ARE A GENIUS AND A LIFESAVER!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

recuperation

#15 Post by recuperation »

Genius? Unfortunately no.
Lifesaver? Sometimes maybe. 8-)