Problems seeing Drive in OS, Possible Data Loss

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Quade12PL

Problems seeing Drive in OS, Possible Data Loss

#1 Post by Quade12PL »

I have a hard caddy by Silverstone which holds 4 random drives. I had a major problem with my data and because I had some date backed up but no more hard drives to run file recovery I decided to format the drives. I was getting errors and all sorts of problems with the drives being raw and also chkdsk not being able to read the drive.

I put my largest drive into the drive enclosure (14tb WD DC HC530) and a (6tb Seagate Drive) which had some of my BU content that I'd lost and I began to tranfer from the 6tb drive to the 12tb drive. All was going fine until I ran a program during the tranfer. The drives both became idle and then my current issue arose.

Whats happen is the 14tb Drive became raw which I'm not worried about but the life saving backup that made a dad day bearable is acting up now. The 6TB does not show up in Windows with a drive letter. It does how ever show in disk management. The 6tb drive however does not show as a single 6TB partition, insted 2GB is a (Health GPT Protective Partition) and the rest is unallocated. I have no options available as they are greyed out

Is there a way to rectify this and restore the drive so that it is visable and accessible. If it requires data recovery then I can recover to the 14tb, but ideally if the 6TB drive can be ressurected then that would be super.

I'm not sure what caused this to happen twice but as a precaution I've removed the drives from the enslosure and I'm using a Drive Dock.

Windows 11 OS, and fully up to date.

Hope you guys can give me some help as I'm not very computer savvy
Last edited by Quade12PL on 18 May 2022, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

recuperation

Re: Problems seeing Drive in OS, Possible Data Loss . PLS Help

#2 Post by recuperation »

Quade12PL wrote: 17 May 2022, 20:30 I have a hard caddy by Silverstone which holds 4 random drives. I had a major problem with my data and because I had some date backed up but no more hard drives to run file recovery I decided to format the drives. I was getting errors and all sorts of problems with the drives being raw and also chkdsk not being able to read the drive.

I put my largest drive into the drive enclosure (14tb WD DC HC530) and a (6tb Seagate Drive) which had some of my BU
What is "BU"?
It is not a smart idea to use abbreviations without knowing if your readers understand then.

content that I'd lost and I began to tranfer from the 6tb drive to the 12tb drive. All was going fine until I ran a program during the tranfer. The drives both became idle and then my current issue arose.

Whats happen is the 14tb Drive became raw which I'm not worried about but the life saving backup that made a dad day bearable is acting up now. The 6TB does not show up in Windows with a drive letter. It does how ever show in disk management. The 6tb drive however does not show as a single 6TB partition, insted 2GB is a (Health GPT Protective Partition) and the rest is unallocated. I have no options available as they are greyed out

Is there a way to rectify this and restore the drive so that it is visable and accessible.
Maybe. It depends. You can use Testdisk for that purpose.
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Quade12PL

#3 Post by Quade12PL »

Sorry! BU - Backed Up content….

I’ll take a look at the program and hope for the best. I must admit that I had a quick look through the pdf and couldn’t see anything about my related problem but I’m sure it’s bound to be there.

I’m just rather scared of screwing things up. I’ve never seen are had this happen to any of my hard drives in all my years as a PC user. It seems strange that the drive was one 6tb partition and now is two partitions gpt protected partition and the other unallocated? Strange!

In my search to find a answer some YouTube vids suggest various paid apps that can supposedly fix the issue by converting the drive to MBR without data loss but I’m not sure I want to follow that route because I’d imagine that might format the drive.

It’s also vey annoying because at present I can only see the drive in drive management and nowhere else. I assume I can analyse the disk with this app and provide the information it provides to someone that knows what they are doing in order to save the content.

It’s just that I’ve last a lot of content and loosing this also would be a kick in the teeth, so I’m not comfortable altering anything until I’m sure it’s the right thing to do.

Anyway I appreciate the reply and I’ll do a bit of reading and see if I understand things

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Testdisk is not altering things unless instructed to do so.

Please remove "PLS Help" from the title of the thread. Off-topic gamer speak is not suitable for this forum and it only encourages other to choose useless title content.