Recovery of deleted partition / formatted drive that was using Bitlocker

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ddhddrk1

Recovery of deleted partition / formatted drive that was using Bitlocker

#1 Post by ddhddrk1 »

Hello!
I unfortunately just had a mishap. I was installing Windows on a new PC, and mistakingly selected the wrong drive to delete a partition from.
I noticed my error almost immediately, so luckily I did not install windows over the top of it.

This is not my screenshot, but it IS the option I used to delete the drive.

This HDD was setup as a full-drive encrypted Bitlocker drive that automatically unlocks upon system login
I have 2 recovery keys (not sure which one is the correct drive).

Is there any way to get this back, or is TeskDisk not really the right tool for what I'm trying to do?
Before I "go down the rabbit hole" I might be trying to do something it's not capable of.

I first did a Quick Scan with PC Intel, and after about an hour and a half it finished with "The following partition can't be recovered / Filesystem damaged".
I will update this post in the morning with my log file.

Thank you!

recuperation

Re: Recovery of deleted partition / formatted drive that was using Bitlocker

#2 Post by recuperation »

Could you rewrite your description avoiding the words "drive" and "full-drive"? "Drive" has two meanings. It is referring to a complete disk but is as well used to refer to partitions like the "C-drive" which is correctly speaking a partition on a disk. See how the term is used on your picture!

Thank you.

satyricon

Re: Recovery of deleted partition / formatted drive that was using Bitlocker

#3 Post by satyricon »

Hi,

I was in exaclty the same situation. I was not sucessfull with testdisk (great tool, thx) - even after hours of scanning on a 8 TB drive.

In the end I was SUCCESSFULL with "Disk Genius" - found the lost partition withing seconds - entered the bitlocker key, recovered within 1 minute. See also https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/commen ... partition/ <-- here I found the initial hint for this tool.

br, christian