Length of PhotoRec recovery scan?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
mattozan

Length of PhotoRec recovery scan?

#1 Post by mattozan »

How long should I expect a recovery scan would "normally" take on an 80 GB SATA drive?

I'm running PhotoRec 6.12 on a WinXP SP3 box. It has two permanent SATA drives and a SATA DVD-ROM installed. I've connected a 3rd SATA drive (2.5" 80 GB laptop drive) for data recovery. It has lots of bad sectors and other filesystem problems.

PhotoRec has been running for almost five days now, and it is only ~16% complete. (see attached screenshot)

I've noticed that explorer.exe has become extremely sluggish on this system, as though something is consuming all system resources. But TaskManager does not show any high CPU usage by PhotoRec or any other process. I've also noticed that the HDD activity light is constantly lit, though.

Is this scan proceeding abnormally slowly? Is there anything I should do to speed it up?
Attachments
Screenshot of PhotoRec progress. 113 hrs elapsed, 590 hrs to go?
Screenshot of PhotoRec progress. 113 hrs elapsed, 590 hrs to go?
Clipboard01.png (12.21 KiB) Viewed 5621 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Length of PhotoRec recovery scan?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

When a disk contains bad sectors, it's better to clone the harddisk first using ddrescue as described in http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk and work on the clone.

njso18

Re: Length of PhotoRec recovery scan?

#3 Post by njso18 »

I'm having a similar sort of thing. I'm running photorec right now on an image.dd and its done 19 hrs with 38 more to go and it keeps going up little by little. i am saving the recovered files to the same hdd that the image.dd is on, do you think it keeps finding and duplicating the same files? I can't imagine that it would do that but possibly...though judging by data use right now who knows.