Mac Raid initialized by win10

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
recaxa

Mac Raid initialized by win10

#1 Post by recaxa »

Hi folks,

I had a WD DUO (2x4TB) configured as a RAID 1 (mirror) in mac os format that died (the enclosure, not the drives in it). I put them inside a Windows machine and :cry: initialized both, I didn't remember that windows doesn't recognise Mac os etc . I tried to use testdisk to recover the filesystem but until today had no success. One of the drives is untouched (only by the win intialize i guess) , I'm using the other to try recover the files etc... Now I have it in a external enclosure into a Mac machine.
I've read the manual and browsed the forum but I don't know what to do exactly to make it work again. Once I recovered some sort of WD recover 10,7meg partition. But when I do a deep search it returns lots of unknown partitions. Thanks in advance! :D

recuperation

Re: Mac Raid initialized by win10

#2 Post by recuperation »

Testdisk is not able to browse partitions in APFS and HFS+ format. That means that you won't be able to look into the proposed list of partitions of deep search for instance.
You can try Photorec instead or try out some Apple-specific recovery software or RAID-specific recovery software.
" I'm using the other to try recover the files etc..." that sounds that you have already overwritten your mirror which has not been affected by a initializing operation.

recaxa

#3 Post by recaxa »

recuperation wrote: 31 May 2022, 15:54 Testdisk is not able to browse partitions in APFS and HFS+ format. That means that you won't be able to look into the proposed list of partitions of deep search for instance.
You can try Photorec instead or try out some Apple-specific recovery software or RAID-specific recovery software.
" I'm using the other to try recover the files etc..." that sounds that you have already overwritten your mirror which has not been affected by a initializing operation.
Before I mess things more I'm cloning the least touched disk.
I will try Photorec, also do you know any Apple-specific software I should try? If I succeed (or not) I will write here. Thanks a lot!

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

I never owned an Apple computer. Unfortunately I have no experience with Apple.
But recovery programs typically let you try out before you pay - you can test alot and tell about your findings.