when I tried to restore stuff with photorec it used 50gb's and when I deleted the restoration it still says 50gb's used

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
mazenPRO101

when I tried to restore stuff with photorec it used 50gb's and when I deleted the restoration it still says 50gb's used

#1 Post by mazenPRO101 »

I was using photorec to restore stuff from my corrupted 2tb sandisk usb (Which was a complete fake) and when it said "there is not enough space" I clicked x on the cmd, deleted the backup and saw that 54gb's was still used from my 500gb HDD. I dont know why but please help.

Before:
USB that had corrupted stuff that I was trying to save had 1.85TB's free of 1.90TB's
Target HDD had 56.5GB's free of 464GB's

After I pressed cancel when there was not enough space and I deleted the backup:
USB that had corrupted stuff that I was trying to save had 1.85TB's free of 1.90TB's
Target HDD had 2.46GB's free of 464GB's

Where did all my space go? I deleted the backup so there should of been 56.5GB's free not 2GB's?!?

Thanks
Last edited by mazenPRO101 on 20 May 2022, 13:08, edited 2 times in total.

recuperation

Re: I was using photorec and when I cancelled I lost 50gb's for no reason

#2 Post by recuperation »

mazenPRO101 wrote: 20 May 2022, 09:23 I was using photorec to restore stuff from my corrupted 2tb sandisk usb (Which was a complete fake) and when it said "there is not enough space" I clicked x on the cmd and checked my folders and 50gb's just dissapeared from my 500gb hdd. I dont know why but please help.
Maybe the current file could not be completed because the TARGET did not have sufficient space and the unfinished recovered file was deleted.
Before:
Source HDD had 56.5GB's free of 464GB's
What you named "source" is the TARGET of your recovery operation.
When talking about data recovery the word SOURCE describes a broken device. TARGET is where your recovery or your duplicate is stored. Do not confuse them.
After I pressed cancel when there was not enough space and I deleted the backup:
Do you want to tell that you deleted the recovery? Why are you complaining above about 50 GB that have disappeared when you deleted that space?
Source HDD had 2.46GB's free of 464GB's

Where did all my space go? I deleted the backup so there should of been 56.5GB's free not 2GB's?!?
There is a difference between deleting where you put data into a waste paper basket on your device which simply corresponds to moving data into another folder and deleting where the space occupied by your data is immediately released.

Please be aware that your posting is full of contradictions which do not resolve when rereading your posting a couple of times. Typically such posts won't be answered.

stanislaw

Re: when I tried to restore stuff with photorec it used 50gb's and when I deleted the restoration it still says 50gb's u

#3 Post by stanislaw »

I suspect you turned on log writing. When I scanned a corrupt disk I also ran out of space on my system disk, after a while I found out that TestDisk had written a log file of about 160 Gigabytes! After deleting this file I had lots of free space again. I think, that I once read a warning about this logfiles possibility to grow huge, but this time I didn't notice the danger of turning log file writing on. So search your disk for huge files, this will turn up at the top.