data loss or filesystem error - testdisk or photorec

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
gg4u

data loss or filesystem error - testdisk or photorec

#1 Post by gg4u »

Hello and thank you for having created this tool.
I hope it can help..

My first question is :
is my problem a data loss or a file-system problem ?

I was migrating data from one external HDD1, with HFS+ filesystem (mac), to another external HDD2, with filesystem exFAT, both connected to the laptop (mac).

HDD2 started to go slower, because of many many data and there was not a partition.
Eventually, I tried to check the filesystem with mac, that said the disk was to be repaired but could not be repaired.
However, the disk still was in read and write and could copy and read file with no problem (except going relatively slow).

Since I had already Mac misreading a filesystem exFAT and fixed it with windows, I connected HDD2 to a windows system.
I checked the filesystem and it was with no error.
However, I still clicked "repair" because the mac was saying it had an issue.

Now, I noticed ALL of the last created folders in HDD2 has gone.
Disappeared.

Is it a data loss, and should try with PhotoRec, or a partition, and try with TestDisk ?

Please note I don;t want to mess things up because HDD2 also hosted other backups! Yes, all in one HDD..

recuperation

Re: data loss or filesystem error - testdisk or photorec

#2 Post by recuperation »

gg4u wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 09:52 Hello and thank you for having created this tool.
I hope it can help..

My first question is :
is my problem a data loss or a file-system problem ?

I was migrating data from one external HDD1, with HFS+ filesystem (mac), to another external HDD2, with filesystem exFAT, both connected to the laptop (mac).

HDD2 started to go slower, because of many many data and there was not a partition.
???!
Eventually, I tried to check the filesystem with mac, that said the disk was to be repaired but could not be repaired.
However, the disk still was in read and write and could copy and read file with no problem (except going relatively slow).

Since I had already Mac misreading a filesystem exFAT and fixed it with windows, I connected HDD2 to a windows system.
I checked the filesystem and it was with no error.
However, I still clicked "repair" because the mac was saying it had an issue.

Now, I noticed ALL of the last created folders in HDD2 has gone.
Disappeared.

Is it a data loss, and should try with PhotoRec, or a partition, and try with TestDisk ?
???!
Please note I don;t want to mess things up because HDD2 also hosted other backups! Yes, all in one HDD..
Duplicate your suspicous drive twice using ddrescue as described in the manual.