700gb suddenly goes raw overnight.

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Jondigital

700gb suddenly goes raw overnight.

#1 Post by Jondigital »

I have a WD 3TB mybook that went raw. I had used it the day before and suspect the Thermaltake dock I am using for it may have a fault internally(power issues)

I used Testdisk about 2 months ago to successfully recover this 700+gb lol and now its unreadable again.

it is set to GPT EFI and NTFS.

when I do a quick scan, it hangs at 99% for a healthy amount of time. Then finally completes. When i try to list files it says no files - file system may be damaged.
I can see the drive in disk management and with crystaldisk info - although it says caution.

I may have made a mistake at first when i began this time and pressed write as soon as it said it found the files, but i hadnt used P to list yet, turns out i think i wrote in a intel/pc partition. because now when i go to disk management the disk has 2 partitions. 2000gb of healthy drive and 748gb of unallocated data - which i know is my lost data.

when i use advanced, it shows my partition start end size in sectors, and it knows the name i gave the drive when i got it. tried type and put it to efi and ntfs. when i hit boot, boot sector ok back up sector ok sectors are identical. a valid ntfs boot sector must be present in order to access any data comes up. so, i am very beginner and i recovered the data last time by just following forums, but my sectors didnt match time.
so i hit list, wont list files, filesystem damaged. hit rebuild bs and search mft starts, then comes to extrapolated boot sector and current boot sector are different. i am LOST lol
i felt like id fly through this and the drive would be working in no time. HELP