Unable to read the ssd Warning: can't get size for...

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
RecoverSSD

Unable to read the ssd Warning: can't get size for...

#1 Post by RecoverSSD »

Hello,

I have this SSD from a Lenovo Yoga 2 pro which stopped working (the laptop and visibly the SSD too). I have tried to put that msata into a USD-Msata reader, I can't detect any drive.
Note; I tested the adapter with another msata SSD it can read well through it, I could access that other SSD data.

I attached my testdisk log:

Note: I also went the road of an adapter msata to sata, and used an icybox sata device, no luck either.

Log:
Note: Crucial_CT256MX100SSD is my laptop SSD.

Sat Aug 13 11:00:31 2022
Command line: TestDisk

TestDisk 7.2-WIP, Data Recovery Utility, July 2022
Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
https://www.cgsecurity.org
Compiler: GCC 11.2, Cygwin32 3001.4
ext2fs lib: 1.45.3, ntfs lib: 10:0:0, reiserfs lib: none, ewf lib: 20140608, curses lib: ncurses 6.1
disk_get_size_win32 IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO(\\.\PhysicalDrive0)=256060514304
filewin32_getfilesize(\\.\PhysicalDrive1) GetFileSize err Incorrect function.

filewin32_setfilepointer(\\.\PhysicalDrive1) SetFilePointer err Incorrect function.

Warning: can't get size for \\.\PhysicalDrive1
disk_get_size_win32 IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO(\\.\C:)=255369292800
filewin32_getfilesize(\\.\D:) GetFileSize err Incorrect function.

filewin32_setfilepointer(\\.\D:) SetFilePointer err Incorrect function.

Warning: can't get size for \\.\D:
disk_get_size_win32 IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO(\\.\F:)=0
Warning: can't get size for \\.\F:
Hard disk list
Disk \\.\PhysicalDrive0 - 256 GB / 238 GiB - CHS 31130 255 63, sector size=512 - Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1, S/N:14350D10472E, FW:MU01

TestDisk exited normally.

Using locale 'C.UTF-8'.

Sat Aug 13 11:06:50 2022
Command line: TestDisk /debug /log /all

TestDisk 7.2-WIP, Data Recovery Utility, July 2022
Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
https://www.cgsecurity.org
Compiler: GCC 11.2, Cygwin32 3001.4
ext2fs lib: 1.45.3, ntfs lib: 10:0:0, reiserfs lib: none, ewf lib: 20140608, curses lib: ncurses 6.1
disk_get_size_win32 IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO(\\.\PhysicalDrive0)=256060514304
filewin32_getfilesize(\\.\PhysicalDrive1) GetFileSize err Incorrect function.

filewin32_setfilepointer(\\.\PhysicalDrive1) SetFilePointer err Incorrect function.

Warning: can't get size for \\.\PhysicalDrive1
disk_get_size_win32 IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO(\\.\C:)=255369292800
filewin32_getfilesize(\\.\D:) GetFileSize err Incorrect function.

filewin32_setfilepointer(\\.\D:) SetFilePointer err Incorrect function.

Warning: can't get size for \\.\D:
disk_get_size_win32 IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO(\\.\F:)=0
Warning: can't get size for \\.\F:
Hard disk list
Disk \\.\PhysicalDrive0 - 256 GB / 238 GiB - CHS 31130 255 63, sector size=512 - Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1, S/N:14350D10472E, FW:MU01
Drive C: - 255 GB / 237 GiB - CHS 31046 255 63, sector size=512 - Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1, S/N:14350D10472E, FW:MU01

TestDisk exited normally.

Any help?

recuperation

Re: Unable to read the ssd Warning: can't get size for...

#2 Post by recuperation »

Post your log file:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10910

RecoverSSD

#3 Post by RecoverSSD »

Attachments
myreport3.txt
(283 Bytes) Downloaded 174 times
myreport2.txt
(389 Bytes) Downloaded 175 times
myreport1.txt
(9.97 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

RecoverSSD

#4 Post by RecoverSSD »

recuperation wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 18:23 Post your log file:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10910
See the drive seems to be not recognized. Yet in Clonezilla it gives errors:

Edit: It's a msata SSD, currently set inside a USB adapter which can read properly another msata SSD (so the adapter is not faulty):

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »

Alternatively you should connect your drive to a desktop computer internally.
If that fails, contact a professional recovery service.
RecoverSSD wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 10:22 Note: Crucial_CT256MX100SSD is my laptop SSD.
This is uncomprehensible.

RecoverSSD

#6 Post by RecoverSSD »

recuperation wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 10:17 Alternatively you should connect your drive to a desktop computer internally.
If that fails, contact a professional recovery service.

I don't have that at hand right now but I might have a friend who can help me in a few weeks.
RecoverSSD wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 10:22 Note: Crucial_CT256MX100SSD is my laptop SSD.
This is uncomprehensible.
I meant the log file myreport1.txt refers to a crucial SSD 256gb. That has nothing to do with that Toshiba msata SSD. I was just specifying.

recuperation

#7 Post by recuperation »

I wonder how useful is posting two empty log files and another one that does not refer to the failed candidate but to another disk without any further explanation. :roll:

You will have a high likelyhood of having disk problems in the future as you are operating your computer in unsuitable way.
First, you were running your SSD at -9° Celsius which is out of spec.
Second you have shut down your machine over a hundred times irregularly by cutting the power supply/ pressing the ON switch for an extended time.

Assuming the other machine was operated the same way like you did with the Crucial it is no wonder when suddenly payback day arrives.

RecoverSSD

#8 Post by RecoverSSD »

recuperation wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 17:52 1) I wonder how useful is posting two empty log files and another one that does not refer to the failed candidate but to another disk without any further explanation. :roll:

2)You will have a high likelyhood of having disk problems in the future as you are operating your computer in unsuitable way.
First, you were running your SSD at -9° Celsius which is out of spec.
3)Second you have shut down your machine over a hundred times irregularly by cutting the power supply/ pressing the ON switch for an extended time.

4)Assuming the other machine was operated the same way like you did with the Crucial it is no wonder when suddenly payback day arrives.
Hi, first I should mentioned that I'm work in IT for about 20 years, being RHCE, RHCA and various other certifications and numerous experience. Not to brag but to put some context because you feel strangely over confident with your responses.

1)You are right it's not useful. That's all I got to prove I tried your commands but I could not get any logs from the failed SSD.
I tried to explain that the only log not empty was about another SSD, I did that in poor way, fair enough.

2) my Ssd has never run at -9° Celsius, certainly not. No idea where that comes from. It's inside an old Dell latitude E6430 which is not that young and would tend to be on the hotter side (but not higher than tolerable températures).

3) I never do that. I always turn off my windows using shutdown option. In fact it's docked and I don't even have access to the laptop on/off button when the lid is closed. The dock has a power button but I never use it to shut down the laptop.
I probably had 2-3 powercuts in a few years and even so, the laptop had a battery.
Just saying that I don't understand where what you said come from. I'm also The sole user of that computer.

4) That's actually my wife yoga 2 pro. That machine had issues, also reported by other users, and payback day finally arrived. She reported that it had corrupted screen, with some green, etc... Then never booted again. Sure payback day was likely to happen, worse, from a professional, I did not do any backup of her system. I don't expect sympathy, I fully understand my inaction amplified the problem. Let's say I had other worries, also working top much and being mobbed for along time and lost track.
FYI I bought her a new computer with an external SSD for backups and explained her how to Do. Sure payback day already happened, I just hope that you'll be less hard during judgment Day.