Packard Bell Carbon Ext HD RAW but not RAW - (NTFS in Testdisk) Topic is solved

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
synder

Packard Bell Carbon Ext HD RAW but not RAW - (NTFS in Testdisk)

#1 Post by synder »

Hello, thanx in advance for the help that you always give in this forum-
I have a Packard Bell Carbon external HD which suddenly refused to be accessible showing the "H: is not accessible. The Parameter is incorrect"
In two different pc's in windows disk management shows it as RAW and without a label, but i began to be hopeful since in Testdisk sees it as NTFS and also remembers the label i wrote on it ( *KITTYNI*) ; i only did a quick search since it immediately sees it as NTFS and with the correct label so i wrote the correct filesystem but when i restart the PC nothing changes.
I didn't do the deeper search and now i am doing a chckdsk and i am stuck at an elapsed time of 999 and more hours to wait....seems everything is lost :(
can you give me some advice on how to use surely in a more skillfull way testdisk to regain my files root and folders? i really hope so because i have family pics that i cannot find elsewhere as well as really important documents and i am really in anxiety. i also did SFC/scannow and it did not revealed any anomaly....even though, the disk is still unaccessible. I attach some screenshots with almost every operation i did in hope that you can help!
Thanx again!
Attachments
testdisk 2.jpg
testdisk 2.jpg (83.06 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
testdisk 1.jpg
testdisk 1.jpg (110.44 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
disk status win.jpg
disk status win.jpg (203.84 KiB) Viewed 2987 times

synder

Re: Packard Bell Carbon Ext HD RAW but not RAW - (NTFS in Testdisk)

#2 Post by synder »

Here are some others screenshot which i did'nt reach to post in the previous main thread :)
Attachments
testdisk 4.jpg
testdisk 4.jpg (110.3 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
testdisk 3.jpg
testdisk 3.jpg (83.91 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
chkdsk.jpg
chkdsk.jpg (208.93 KiB) Viewed 2986 times

recuperation

#3 Post by recuperation »

synder wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 14:05 Hello, thanx in advance for the help that you always give in this forum-
I have a Packard Bell Carbon external HD which suddenly refused to be accessible showing the "H: is not accessible. The Parameter is incorrect"
In two different pc's in windows disk management shows it as RAW and without a label, but i began to be hopeful since in Testdisk sees it as NTFS and also remembers the label i wrote on it ( *KITTYNI*) ; i only did a quick search since it immediately sees it as NTFS and with the correct label so i wrote the correct filesystem but when i restart the PC nothing changes.
Seeing a partition does not justify writing a partition table referring to it. Your task is to look inside using the p-key ("list files") to make sure it contains the desired content. More advanced users take size and position on disk into account when being faced with a couple of partitions.

I didn't do the deeper search
The deeper search is not necessary if you find what you were looking for before. If you had seen your content when looking into the partition you could have already started copying it to a healthy disk.
Checking smart attributes as described here
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10910
helps deciding if duplicating the drive appears necessary. Duplicating a drive means conserving the dammage level of the source at best because a dammaged drive could degrade upon use. Duplicating the (physically) healthy copy enables you to play around without fear of loosing data.
and now i am doing a chckdsk and i am stuck at an elapsed time of 999 and more hours to wait....seems everything is lost :(
can you give me some advice on how to use surely in a more skillfull way testdisk to regain my files root and folders? i really hope so because i have family pics that i cannot find elsewhere as well as really important documents and i am really in anxiety. i also did SFC/scannow and it did not revealed any anomaly....even though, the disk is still unaccessible. I attach some screenshots with almost every operation i did in hope that you can help!
Thanx again!
Unfortunately I can't forecast how long chkdsk will take nor if interrupting chkdsk with your parameters creates an additional risk.
Given the importance of your content you might consider biting the bullet and contact a professional recovery lab.

synder

#4 Post by synder »

Hello! and thanx again! when i used the -p key it says that there are no files :( see the Screenshot attached ;( are there any chances to save the data doing chkdsk? do you have any other suggestions using testdisk or other ways? no problem for any hint, i will take responsibility of it :) thanx in advance, you are always nice :)
Attachments
testdisk 2.jpg
testdisk 2.jpg (83.06 KiB) Viewed 2959 times

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »

synder wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 18:57 Hello! and thanx again! when i used the -p key it says that there are no files :( see the Screenshot attached ;( are there any chances to save the data doing chkdsk? do you have any other suggestions using testdisk or other ways? no problem for any hint, i will take responsibility of it :) thanx in advance, you are always nice :)
Where is that error counter now? I have already written above what to do. After examining the SMART parameters and duplicating twice I would probably trying out commercial recovery programs one after another. If chkdsk is constantly trying to read something and always fails an interruption of chkdsk may do not much harm.

synder

#6 Post by synder »

Hello,
i managed to get all the files back but they had to be moved on another disk with the help of a recovery software...the disk is still impossible to open so i will format it and disconnect it, it is an old hard disk that needs to be connected with a power supply so it will not be wise to keep it...i will leave it as a backup space and destination to recovery files. Thanx for all and another lesson learned! :cry: