invalid ntfs or exfat boot, two partitions are not normal.

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
kagesausage

invalid ntfs or exfat boot, two partitions are not normal.

#1 Post by kagesausage »

Hi,

My 500GB HDD disk has yellow light by CrystalDiskInfo (I remember it is 06 error, which can be fixed by change disk). I decide to move whole disk to new disk.
I do Clone Disk by ATI, but it failed when process, then my source disk has been broken.

Here is the status of my disk:

Got Testdisk to check partition status, [Intel] -> [Analyse], found G:/ and H:/ show "invalid NTFS or exFat boot".
When I do Search & Deeper Search, these two partitions cannot be found, it only show first partition which is system preserved.

One more information, I select [Advanced] it can show 3 partitions.
But only first partition boot sector & backup boot sector status: OK,
the other two partition show both boot sector status: bad.
My source disk has a windows 7 OS should be installed in partition 1 which is C drive.

Is it able for me to recover my other two partitions of source disk?

kagesausage

Re: invalid ntfs or exfat boot, two partitions are not normal.

#2 Post by kagesausage »

Sorry I upload pic again here.

recuperation

#3 Post by recuperation »

kagesausage wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 15:57 Hi,

My 500GB HDD disk has yellow light by CrystalDiskInfo (I remember it is 06 error, which can be fixed by change disk). I decide to move whole disk to new disk.
I recommend generating a smartmontools log file as described here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10910
Depending on the result it might be worth duplicating the drive using ddrescue as described in the manual.

I do Clone Disk by ATI, but it failed when process, then my source disk has been broken.
I don't understand what "clone disk by ATI" should mean.

Here is the status of my disk:

Got Testdisk to check partition status, [Intel] -> [Analyse], found G:/ and H:/ show "invalid NTFS or exFat boot".
When I do Search & Deeper Search, these two partitions cannot be found, it only show first partition which is system preserved.

One more information, I select [Advanced] it can show 3 partitions.
But only first partition boot sector & backup boot sector status: OK,
the other two partition show both boot sector status: bad.
My source disk has a windows 7 OS should be installed in partition 1 which is C drive.

Is it able for me to recover my other two partitions of source disk?
I can never tell, sorry!
When running Testdisk you have to check the partitions that are found after quick or deep search by using the "p"-key ("list files"). This way you verify if Testdisk is still able to read its content. If that fails use any commercial recovery software. If commercial software fails use Photorec.

kagesausage

#4 Post by kagesausage »

Thanks for your help.
I recommend generating a smartmontools log file as described here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10910
Depending on the result it might be worth duplicating the drive using ddrescue as described in the manual.
Here is my report by smartmontool. Is is what I need to provided?
myreport.txt
(5.21 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
I don't understand what "clone disk by ATI" should mean.
I make a clone disk by "Acronis True Image", my disk can work before clone, but after clone it becomes RAW.
When running Testdisk you have to check the partitions that are found after quick or deep search by using the "p"-key ("list files"). This way you verify if Testdisk is still able to read its content. If that fails use any commercial recovery software. If commercial software fails use Photorec.
Sorry I forgot to screen shot of it!
Since I can see 3 partitions at [analyse] page, but after quick search or deeper search, it can only found first partitions.
The other 2 RAW partitions can't display so I can't use "p-key" to list files.
Only first partitions can list files but it only contain "System Volume Information" which should be system preserved, this is correct.

I'm trying photorec finding files now.

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »

Yes you provided the correct report. Looking inside I can't find an obvious error. The big raw values are most likely combined values into one figure that I can't decode.

As Photorec is only the tool of last resort you typically try out other (commercial) recovery software before because the might detect and evaluate remains of metadata which could lead to the recovery of folders and file names, p.e..