File undelete with TestDisk - Windows Storage Spaces

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
SteveC

File undelete with TestDisk - Windows Storage Spaces

#1 Post by SteveC »

Working on a Windows 10 Storage Spaces "RAID" drive (two physical drives appearing as one), I pressed the wrong button and deleted a pretty big branch on my directory tree instead of the one file I meant to delete. The Storage Spaces drive is formatted as NTFS. TesttDisk finds all the deleted files almost instantly, but the copies it makes on another drive are all corrupted/unviewable/unplayable. Any suggestions?

recuperation

Re: File undelete with TestDisk - Windows Storage Spaces

#2 Post by recuperation »

Testdisk does not support Windows Storage Spaces.

SteveC

#3 Post by SteveC »

Thanks for that clear statement. I hadn't considered support for undeleting files as a criterion when I selected a software RAID 1-type solution. Do you support undeleting files from any Windows RAID implementations?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Please check this website

www.cgsecurity.org

to find out if your file system in question is supported at all.

SteveC

#5 Post by SteveC »

Appreciate your work. TestDisk functions fine on my Windows 10 system with ordinary storage devices, just not on that Storage Spaces 2-drive "drive" which is connected to the same computer. The Storage Spaces drive uses NTFS, per the Window Disk Management utility, so the file system on that drive is conventional. No need for further follow-up.

recuperation

#6 Post by recuperation »

SteveC wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 20:33 Appreciate your work. TestDisk functions fine on my Windows 10 system with ordinary storage devices, just not on that Storage Spaces 2-drive "drive" which is connected to the same computer. The Storage Spaces drive uses NTFS, per the Window Disk Management utility, so the file system on that drive is conventional. No need for further follow-up.
Windows Storage Spaces are not supported.

As for RAID implementations it depends on the fact if Testdisk shows you a combined device that integrates all RAID member disks.
In addition to that, the file system has to be a supported one (NTFS is supported).

If this is a RAID-1 in the hull of Windows Storage spaces I assume that the undelete function will fail.