Testdisk app recover takes all of my main drive space

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Dzeenis

Testdisk app recover takes all of my main drive space

#1 Post by Dzeenis »

Dear all,

Your tool was very veyr helpful to me but as I try to recover 1 TB of data, my computer runs out of space, since testdisk.log takes full space. How can i change testdisk log place, or how can i make it smaller?

or maybe i can make my partition back? I counld find any information on my issue. the issue:

I had exFAT disk which was hardly connecting to Mac. I run fsck debug, but still it didnt work.

Then i tried to repair with windows and lost partition, it shows only GUID partition, and i cant find a way to recover back my exFAT partition with 931 gb of data..

Sorry if im not very accurate, but im not very good at computers

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Testdisk app recover takes all of my main drive space

#2 Post by cgrenier »

When TestDisk has scanned the disk, it has probably displayed numerous read error messages.
As they are recorded in testdisk.log, this file may grow very large. You can delete it.

When dealing with a disk with bad sectors, it's recommended to clone the disk to a new empty disk using ddrescue, remove the damaged disk and next use testdisk or photorec on the clone.
It's explained in https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
If it's too complex, you may consider contacting a data recovery company.

Dzeenis

#3 Post by Dzeenis »

Thanks for reply. I managed to make it with no log, so it doesnt take a lot of storage.
But other questions is, is it possible to make it bootable to normal partition again? or its impossible?
Because now when i connect it it shows only 16 mg partition GUID. testdisk shows that its "Mircrosoft reserved" but shows the size of data i had on the disk.
I cant find the right pathway how to reverse the partitions...
Maybe You could lead me onto something i need?

Dzeenis

#4 Post by Dzeenis »

So I managed to find out, that i can get analize disk without log, and try to copy files. But after letting go copying the files, it freezes after some time and doesnt copy anything more.
Is it my problem that i do something wrong?

Also i bought new HDD and tried ddrescue but its not making an image in my new hard drive, but tries to format it as the broken HDD. What i mean is, that in broken HHD i have 931 GB of data, but it shows only one partition called (MS Data). When i try to run ddrescue, it makes from the new HDD the same, i cant find partition with 2TB data, but only GUID partition with 16 mb on it?

Can You please help me?

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »

https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/m ... anual.html
GNU ddrescue is a data recovery tool. It copies data from one file or block device (hard disc, cdrom, etc) to another, trying to rescue the good parts first in case of read errors.
Copying does not mean repairing!

The following explanation assumes that you are duplicating your disk into another disk and not into a file on another disk.

ddrescue will produce a duplicate of your broken disk with the exception of the unreadable sectors on the source disk.
ddrescue is programmed to bypass unreadable sectors because the drive firmware spends too much time on unreadable sectors that you might rather want to be used to duplicate healthy sectors.

The outcome is a drive that does not hang anymore because the healthy target has no unreadable sectors.
This way recovery software is relieved from the issue of unreadable sectors.

There is no format operation ddrescue. Format is a operation on a partition.
When applying ddrescue to a whole disk, ddrescue works as a copy machine on sector level.

Dzeenis

#6 Post by Dzeenis »

Okay, kind of getting the idea.

So if my disk has only one partition (1TB disk with 931GB data on it), can You help me with ddrescue line, to make copy of partition as an image, not the whole disk partitions? Im in hard understanding of what and how command syntax should be.
Or in this case, I should write disk1s2#, or it should be only disk1 ?

recuperation

#7 Post by recuperation »

Copy the whole drive as being told.