Raw file recovery from Sony A9ii SD Card

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
djsony

Raw file recovery from Sony A9ii SD Card

#1 Post by djsony »

Hi All,

Hope you can help, advise. I formatted a Lexar 128gb SD card in my Sony A9ii this morning with images on I hadn't imported. I'm on a Mac running Ventura, have got PhotoRec running in Terminal after installing the xcode kit.

I've run the program once and have a recovery folder that with it has a single file that is 128gb in size (or so the UI says it is) called "f0184320.gz" when I try to open this I get a message saying "Error 32 Broken Pipe". How do I open this? Will this contain my Sony .ARW files?

I read a lot of sites saying it's not possible to recover files from a Sony SD formatted card. Is this the case? Anyone got experience of recovering raw files from a Sony SD formatted card?

Thank you.

Dominic

recuperation

Re: Raw file recovery from Sony A9ii SD Card

#2 Post by recuperation »

djsony wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 20:23 Hi All,

Hope you can help, advise. I formatted a Lexar 128gb SD card in my Sony A9ii this morning with images on I hadn't imported. I'm on a Mac running Ventura, have got PhotoRec running in Terminal after installing the xcode kit.

I've run the program once and have a recovery folder that with it has a single file that is 128gb in size (or so the UI says it is) called "f0184320.gz" when I try to open this I get a message saying "Error 32 Broken Pipe". How do I open this? Will this contain my Sony .ARW files?
No. You should see a file for each individual picture.

I read a lot of sites saying it's not possible to recover files from a Sony SD formatted card. Is this the case?
I don't know. It appears that you successfully deleted its content.

djsony

#3 Post by djsony »

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to upload an example of a .arw sony raw file to check it's extension but the limit on file size stops me doing this as the smallest raw is 24mb. Would you or anyone have the code I need to add to photorec to search just for these files please?

Do you have the code I need to add please?

When I try the options and select 'tif' (as has been mentioned in another post), I scroll down to tif, hit the 'b' key and go into a loop, it says successfully saved, but when I look at the list again it isn't selected. How can I do this please? I tried running the script after doing this and get 0 files found but not sure if this is because nothing is selected or no files.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Sorry I just modified your posting instead of replying!
djsony wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 09:59 Thanks for the reply.

I tried to upload an example of a .arw sony raw file to check it's extension but the limit on file size stops me doing this as the smallest raw is 24mb. Would you or anyone have the code I need to add to photorec to search just for these files please?
Sorry, I did not explicitly state that ARW files are supported. You can try out the online checker with a good ARW file if you want:

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRe ... le_formats

Do you have the code I need to add please?

When I try the options and select 'tif' (as has been mentioned in another post), I scroll down to tif, hit the 'b' key and go into a loop, it says successfully saved, but when I look at the list again it isn't selected. How can I do this please? I tried running the script after doing this and get 0 files found but not sure if this is because nothing is selected or no files.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
Which script are you talking about?
You have to run Photorec again after changing its settings but I don't see a reason to mark another file type than ARW.