Samsung EVO 870 Raw Corruption NTFS Fix Partition [Help Required]

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
TestDiskUserMember

Samsung EVO 870 Raw Corruption NTFS Fix Partition [Help Required]

#1 Post by TestDiskUserMember »

Hello everyone,

I could use some assistance on how to solve my scenario. I've posted a lot more information here (link below) with screenshots.

Link: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardw ... ost2508960

SSD Specifications:
Samsung 2.5" EVO 870 1TB
Partition 1 on letter X:\ with 512,001 MB as NTFS on MBR. Formatted with 4096 cluster size. Approximately, 280 GB was used and written to. Note that this SSD has no physical damage and is in excellent health. Samsung software disk quality checks, firmware updates and full format were ran before putting into use.

Scenario:
Running robocopy.exe from the SSD to cloud storage overnight. Awoken in morning to find SSD in 'corrupt' state and unable to access data via Windows Explorer. USB C ports were intact, no removal of wires or loss of power and unknown why this has occurred.

Instead of running chkdsk.exe F: /f /v /x as this has the potential to generate folder found.000. What software/solutions would you use to first backup the corrupted data (with damaged file systems) and then fix the drive? A potential fix could be found here (https://superuser.com/a/700124) might do the trick but I wanted to agree with the community first as it's important to get this right first time.

Appreciate the help.

recuperation

Re: Samsung EVO 870 Raw Corruption NTFS Fix Partition [Help Required]

#2 Post by recuperation »

TestDiskUserMember wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 12:27 Hello everyone,

I could use some assistance on how to solve my scenario. I've posted a lot more information here (link below) with screenshots.

Link: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardw ... ost2508960

SSD Specifications:
Samsung 2.5" EVO 870 1TB
Partition 1 on letter X:\ with 512,001 MB as NTFS on MBR. Formatted with 4096 cluster size. Approximately, 280 GB was used and written to. Note that this SSD has no physical damage and is in excellent health.
As for "is in excellent health" I don't buy into this kind of statement at all unless proven by a complete smartmontools logfile that has been created after an immediately preceding update of the smartmontools database.

Samsung software disk quality checks
No manufacturer wants you to claim a replacement for their faulty drive. There is a obvious conflict of interest.
, firmware updates
None of my simple retail SSDs has ever needed a firmware update.
and full format
I don't see any need for a "full format". Instead I consider running h2testw or f3 after a quick format as a suitable test of your disk.
were ran before putting into use.

Scenario:
Running robocopy.exe from the SSD to cloud storage overnight. Awoken in morning to find SSD in 'corrupt' state and unable to access data via Windows Explorer. USB C ports were intact, no removal of wires or loss of power and unknown why this has occurred.

Instead of running chkdsk.exe F: /f /v /x as this has the potential to generate folder found.000. What software/solutions would you use to first backup the corrupted data
Simple use ddrescue to duplicate the drive as described in the manual.
(with damaged file systems) and then fix the drive?
Fixing, thus repairing a logically broken disk is rather the exception than the rule. Professional handling is about recovering and not writing on the data source. You can try to fix duplicates.
The only fixes that Testdisk provides are well-defined special cases that do not leave much room for interpretation.

TestDiskUserMember

#3 Post by TestDiskUserMember »

Thank you for the guidance.

I'll run h2testw on the spare drive. I'm running Windows 10 so running F3 (Fight Flash Fraud) would be difficult. The same applies for ddrescue, I hear it's a good piece of kit but I correct me if I'm wrong but I can't run it natively on Windows 10, and there's no 'install to usb' option?

I'm considering attempting to clone via DMDE or AOMEI Backupper due to this. Any advice from experience on this?

May I kindly request to elaborate more on the 'fixes' part. After I am able to clone the corrupted SSD to an identical SSD (if possible). What method would you use to fix the state of the SSD from 'corrupted raw' back to NTFS?

Really appreciate your expertise here.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

TestDiskUserMember wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 10:27 Thank you for the guidance.

I'll run h2testw on the spare drive. I'm running Windows 10 so running F3 (Fight Flash Fraud) would be difficult. The same applies for ddrescue, I hear it's a good piece of kit but I correct me if I'm wrong but I can't run it natively on Windows 10, and there's no 'install to usb' option?
Run ddrescue from a linux pendrive. The smallest distros are Gparted-Live and Systemrescue. The Knoppix-DVD is a bigger one. Christoph Grenier recommends Fedora in his manual.

I'm considering attempting to clone via DMDE or AOMEI Backupper due to this. Any advice from experience on this?
No. You have cross-posted your question on a bunch of forums. Please ask there.

May I kindly request to elaborate more on the 'fixes' part. After I am able to clone the corrupted SSD to an identical SSD (if possible). What method would you use to fix the state of the SSD from 'corrupted raw' back to NTFS?
Read my posting above!

TestDiskUserMember

#5 Post by TestDiskUserMember »

I've updated the forum here.

I have cloned the corrupt drive to an image using DMDE. Then, I have cloned this image to another SSD drive to simulate the 'broken corrupted drive'.

Now, I'm asking for solutions on how to 'fix' this drive and return RAW to NTFS. As per forum linked above (with screenshots) I have attempted 'convert', 'chkdsk', and MiniTool Partition Wizard.

Current progress, I've cloned the first 2048 sectors of a working drive then will clone to first 2048 sectors of the 'cloned broken drive' using DMDE. First attempt didn't work, so I shall try again with identical device (as I have x2 Samsung EVO 870, one is the original corrupt, another can be used).

If you're aware of a hex-edit or solution to return NTFS to RAW. Please let me know.
Last edited by TestDiskUserMember on 21 Feb 2023, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

TestDiskUserMember

#6 Post by TestDiskUserMember »

Once I find a solution to fix the NTFS RAW corruption, I can then compare the original drive to backup drive to ensure DMDE can successfully extracted a minimum of 100.00% of data. Can go over this i.e. deleted files.

TestDiskUserMember

#7 Post by TestDiskUserMember »

recuperation wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 11:21...
Thank you for your support thus far.

recuperation

#8 Post by recuperation »

TestDiskUserMember wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 11:32 I've updated the forum here.

I have cloned the corrupt drive to an image using DMDE. Then, I have cloned this image to another SSD drive to simulate the 'broken corrupted drive'.

Now, I'm asking for solutions on how to 'fix' this drive and return RAW to NTFS. As per forum linked above (with screenshots) I have attempted 'convert', 'chkdsk', and MiniTool Partition Wizard.

Current progress, I've cloned the first 2048 sectors of a working drive then will clone to first 2048 sectors of the 'cloned broken drive' using DMDE. First attempt didn't work, so I shall try again with identical device (as I have x2 Samsung EVO 870, one is the original corrupt, another can be used).

If you're aware of a hex-edit or solution to return NTFS to RAW. Please let me know.
Your posting on tenforums.com and your last sentence here discloses that you are still mislead by the belief that you can simply repair your broken drive by applying a patch or using some nice software.

Repair - as demonstrated by Testdisk - is the exception. Standard procedure is recovery on a new disk. As you have duplicated your disk twice you can try out any modification on your second copy. Windows does not tell you why it is unable to mount your disk.

Did DMDE bring back your files and folders? You did not state a word about it.

In order to "repair" your disk you would need to know all requirements of your Windows operating system for a NTFS file system that need to be met to allow for mounting. But even a file system that can be mounted can be severly dammaged, unnoticed by the mounting process.

Ideally you would have access to the source code for mounting and the source code of the chkdsk command.
When knowing all this you can either manually repair or write a software to does it for you.

So far, you don't know where the problem is, despite having bought DMDE.

You are heading in the wrong direction.

recuperation

#9 Post by recuperation »

If you don't get my message I have an example for you.

Look at this car on the picture attached:

car accident.JPG
car accident.JPG (81.21 KiB) Viewed 2264 times

Imagine the car is yours. You want the car to be repaired and to look like it looked before and continue using it.

The decision taken, driven by common sense was:
Cut the driver out and put the car on the scrapyard!

The owner lost two legs and one arm and already has a new car. He is able to drive again because the new car has been modified to his special needs.
The owner represents your data.

Your disk might be like the car above. I might also been dammaged much less. But in data recovery it is a waste of time trying to repair a disk where you do not know the extent of your dammage.

With the car you kind of have an idea how it is supposed to like like. But even if you can interact with your recovery software, once important metadata or data is deleted you have lost the recovery game. You are left with scrapyard methods like the Photorec tool but that does not guarantee any valid result but it still saved lots of users nevertheless.