[Tesdisk_win] Prevent CDROM spindown

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
otofoto

[Tesdisk_win] Prevent CDROM spindown

#1 Post by otofoto »

Is it possible to prevent CDROM spindown while using testdisk?
Problem is I am trying to recover fading CD-R media and it takes very long for CDROM to recognize the CD. Tried multiple drives until found one that is able to read TOC.
Testdisk is unresposible until disc is read so after each step the CD spins down and takes long time to move to next operation.
Need an option to prevent CDROM spindown.

The registry entry DriveSpindown timeout no longer works in latest Windows version.

recuperation

Re: [Tesdisk_win] Prevent CDROM spindown

#2 Post by recuperation »

otofoto wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 17:26 Is it possible to prevent CDROM spindown while using testdisk?
No.
Problem is I am trying to recover fading CD-R media and it takes very long for CDROM to recognize the CD. Tried multiple drives until found one that is able to read TOC.
Testdisk is unresposible until disc is read so after each step the CD spins down and takes long time to move to next operation.
Need an option to prevent CDROM spindown.

The registry entry DriveSpindown timeout no longer works in latest Windows version.
Logical consequence: Build your recovery computer with a legacy operating system!

Anyway, when dealing with defective media you should always try to duplicate defective media to healthy media.
When dealing with disks (HDDs and SSDs) using ddrescue is recommended.
I have no experience running ddrescue with CDs. Maybe the following program is helpful.

https://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

You should apply recovery software, including Testdisk, after successful duplication of the recoverable content of your CD.