Is this microSD card still saveable?

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Deleted User 17011

Is this microSD card still saveable?

#1 Post by Deleted User 17011 »

Too rude, waste of time. Not surprised that forums like this are dying.
Last edited by Deleted User 17011 on 14 Feb 2023, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.

recuperation

Re: Is this microSD card still saveable?

#2 Post by recuperation »

Please upload your logfile to this site using the </> button above.

Deleted User 17011

#3 Post by Deleted User 17011 »

Attachments
testdisk.log
(170.95 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Last edited by Deleted User 17011 on 14 Feb 2023, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Destroy666 wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 17:15 What went wrong here?
As you have successfully hidden manufacturer and model of your card I guess you used cheap storage. Unfortunately even after reading your log file I am unable to answer this question.

Please read
viewtopic.php?p=34916#p34916
section 17, thank you. ;)

Can anything else be tried to recover it
Of course. You can try out as many recovery software products as you want but you already fooled around by writing on your card thereby decreasing your recovery chances. Using Testdisk to change partition types without any reasoning adds to that:
- creating a new partition results in "Write error" no matter what type I choose, e.g. EFI FAT32, EFI FAT16, MBR FAT32, MBR FAT16, MS Data FAT32, MS Data FAT16 and a bunch of other options. Not quite sure what it's supposed to be in the 1st place - FAT32 very likely, but the 1st option - no idea, I'd assume EFI since that's the current map.
or can it go to trash?
To learn more about volume failures use cheap flash products which come with an inherent early failure guarantee.
The stranger the name, the better the card is for failure research purposes. "Failwell", "trustfire" are names to look for. ;)

If you want quality, buy tanks from Germany and flash products from the USA.
The higher the write speed is in relation to flash size, the better it is!
There are some cheap flash products where high write speed seem to be achieved by running write operations in parallel. This way you can achieve a total high write speed even though the single cells do not support high write speeds.
Be aware that even Sandisk has different product lines with varying quality.

Deleted User 17011

#5 Post by Deleted User 17011 »

Last edited by Deleted User 17011 on 14 Feb 2023, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

recuperation

#6 Post by recuperation »

Destroy666 wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 18:59
recuperation wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 18:03 As you have successfully hidden manufacturer and model of your card I guess you used cheap storage. Unfortunately even after reading your log file I am unable to answer this question.
What do you mean by "successfully hidden"? That suggests that I did it on purpose, which is very random to be honest...
It is an ironic response having the following forum rule in mind:
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.

The card is "Transcend Premium 400x". I don't know the exact model since it was bought years ago, but it doesn't seem to be cheap looking at the current prices of 32GB cards and knowing that Transcend is a brand which is rather known when it comes to flash memory products.
Even Transcend has different product types. Please note the different speed classifications (sustained write speed) like class 4, 10 and more recent ones.
recuperation wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 18:03 Please read
viewtopic.php?p=34916#p34916
section 17, thank you. ;)
Hmm? Sorry, but your post is quite cryptic and not really welcoming.
I don't have a crystal ball. The forum is about data recovery using Testdisk and Photorec. The "Why?" and"How" question is useless and a waste of time. As the question repeats itself again and again I pointed you to the list. Based on a three digit Euro charge I am more than willing to speculate about a reason of failure.
I assume it's a way to point out that the card's failure can't be further researched without a forensic analysis or something like that. That's fine, my main aim is to attempt to fix it
Forget it. The intention is fine. Trying to fix a broken car battery mad max style is more rewarding.
and the "what went wrong?" question was asked in case it's possible to answer, which I don't know. What difference would it make if I didn't ask? Since I don't know users of this forum personally, I don't know if they usually answer that automatically and I could potentially miss out on info.
recuperation wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 18:03 Of course. You can try out as many recovery software as you want but you already fooled around by writing on your card thereby decreasing your recovery chances. Using Testdisk to change partition types without any reasoning adds to that:
As I mentioned the writing attempts did absolutely nothing as they just threw that "Partition write error" instantly. I'm also not sure how to recover functioning partitions without messing with partitions and their undetected file systems. Data from it is not needed as I wrote, so if you mean I reduced chances of finding any files then that's not a problem.
As for using Testdisk and Photorec check the manual the tutorials and the forum.
It's all free to read at

www.cgsecurity.org