New 128TB drive bricked?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Todd

New 128TB drive bricked?

#1 Post by Todd »

Hi,
I just purchased a 128 TB USB drive. I was running experiments on it before putting it to actual use. I get lots of errors from Windows 10 Virtual Disk Manager. They have been mitigated by just unplugging the USB or using an action like "Refresh" or "Rescan the drives. In general its operation is clumsy.

In my experimenting, I switched the empty drive from GPT mode to MBR mode. It created two partitions (both unallocated). One was for 2TB; the other for 123 TB. I'm able to use the 2 TB partition. But nothing I do can let me use the 123 TB partition. So I chose to abandon MBR.

In Disk Management, I can right click on Disk 1 (the 128 TB disk) and invoke "Convert to GPT disk". When I do this it runs for a several seconds and then reports "Virtual Disk Manager: The drive cannot find the sector requested". This has been a fairly common error. However now I can do nothing mitigate it. And I'm stuck in this useless MBR mode (wasting 123TB).

I found TestDisk, downloaded it, and tried to find a feature that would return the disk to "factory" (i.e. empty in GPT mode). I didn't find anything.

So unless someone can give me a tip, I've converted 128 TB USB drive to a 2 TB USB drive.

All comments and recommendations are welcome.

Thanks...
Todd

recuperation

Re: New 128TB drive bricked?

#2 Post by recuperation »

Testdisk is a data recovery program and not a secure deletion application.