Use Photorec to recover camera formatted data but did not find any video files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
islaka

Use Photorec to recover camera formatted data but did not find any video files

#1 Post by islaka »

Hello everyone,

I accidentally formatted my Sony 64GB SD card by pressing the format button in my Sony a6400 camera. I tried to recovered it using PhotoRec but it can only recover 2 .bdm files, 1 .xml file, 1 .plist file and 1 .apple file with a huge size of 57.8 GB.
I am wondering what is the data inside that big .apple file and is there any chance that my video is in that file. I don't even know how to open that kind of file so I wonder if is there any way so I can recover my data as my one day work is all gone ☹. I did not copy or paste anything onto the SD card after I pressed the button.

recuperation

Re: Use Photorec to recover camera formatted data but did not find any video files

#2 Post by recuperation »

There are many types of video files on this planet. You do not mention the type of video file you are expecting to find. Therefore I am unable to check if your file type is supported. Furthermore you do not mention if you changed the standard settings when running Photorec.

islaka

Re: Use Photorec to recover camera formatted data but did not find any video files

#3 Post by islaka »

I'm sorry for not including that information. My videos are all in .mp4 and I kept the standard settings when I run PhotoRec

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

I have no idea. I don't know how Sony realized it's format operation.

Photorec does support mp4-files.
By the way, you do not mention the number of mp4 files that you expect on the SD-card.

When you are talking about "one Apple file" you should me more specific as there are a couple of Apple files listed here:

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/File_Fo ... y_PhotoRec

The following is beyond Photorec support:

The way to find out what happens is to fill another SD-card with mp4-videos, duplicate the sd card, press the format button, duplicate the sd card again and compare the files which requires some knowledge about the file system on your SD card (which one???).
If there is some sd-card specific issue about the format process (again a thing I don't know) you would need to test it with your SD card (after duplicating the SD card into a file for further rescue efforts).

frohro

#5 Post by frohro »

My son has a similar problem. He is trying to recover some .mp4 files from his Sony A7 IV. We get a few very small .mov files, some .SR2 and .JPG but he needs the movie files where he videoed some of his friends audition for Survivor. Any tips?

Rob