TestDisk "Undelete" founds almost all files and folder structure but seems that all files are corrupted

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Caine

Re: TestDisk "Undelete" founds almost all files and folder structure but seems that all files are corrupted

#11 Post by Caine »

Hi again,
Are you trying to restore your files to your Bootcamp partition?
No, I am trying to recover my files to an external drive, I run TestDisk and PhotoRec from a USB disk, I start the computer in Windows recovery mode. I've tried TestDisk and PhotoRec from Mac but it does not recognize any disk or partition in my machine.
I received the confirmation from Christophe Grenier that the undelete function of Testdisk will use all clusters that the file entry is pointing to regardless if those clusters are taken or not.
So that means that if I wrote something in the disk in those clusters the file will be corrupted right?, but the thing is that here all files are corrupted.

Thanks again.

recuperation

Re: TestDisk "Undelete" founds almost all files and folder structure but seems that all files are corrupted

#12 Post by recuperation »

Caine wrote: 28 May 2023, 10:41 Hi again,
Are you trying to restore your files to your Bootcamp partition?
No, I am trying to recover my files to an external drive, I run TestDisk and PhotoRec from a USB disk, I start the computer in Windows recovery mode. I've tried TestDisk and PhotoRec from Mac but it does not recognize any disk or partition in my machine.
Did you run the most recent version 7.2-WIP as admin (described in the manual)?
I received the confirmation from Christophe Grenier that the undelete function of Testdisk will use all clusters that the file entry is pointing to regardless if those clusters are taken or not.
So that means that if I wrote something in the disk in those clusters the file will be corrupted right?, but the thing is that here all files are corrupted.
Yes.
I have no explanation why "all files are corrupted" when Photorec is still recovering files.
I have no idea what kind of operation brings a disk in this state.

Caine

#13 Post by Caine »

Yes, well when you enter recovery mode an administrator account is required, enter recovery mode partition... etc
Yes.
I have no explanation why "all files are corrupted" when Photorec is still recovering files.
I have no idea what kind of operation brings a disk in this state.
I've observed two things in these days:
  • Photorec recovers files but for sure there are not all the files I need or almost the files that were in my documents folder
  • In the other way TestDisk have a list of files that contains almost all my files but I can not open the files in any way, seems that sizes are not correct or almost any program can open the files.
Regards.

recuperation

#14 Post by recuperation »

Caine wrote: 29 May 2023, 19:42
Yes, well when you enter recovery mode an administrator account is required, enter recovery mode partition... etc
By running an operating system on your bootcamp partition you are ensuring to delete all traces left of what you are searching for.
Instead you should have started Testdisk within a different system and acessing your disk from there so that no need arises to write anything on the disk with the remains of your data.