Problems with an external hard drive - Solutions for a newbie

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
dbevit

Problems with an external hard drive - Solutions for a newbie

#1 Post by dbevit »

Hello everyone,
today my external hard drive, a 5TB Intenso, decide to play games on me, so I had to reboot my PC.

After rebooting, that drive "G" is not recognized anymore and Windows says that I have to format it.

Image.
Picture 1

I found TestDisk and many reviews said that it's a very good software to recover hard drives.

It's quite complicated for me, but I managed to get where I can see the list of files that are supposed to be on that drive, so the files are still there!!!

Picture 2

As you may see, drive "G" is listed twice
Picture 3

And this is the boot sector
Picture 4

I was wondering if any of you could be so kind and guide me (step by step) in order to have that drive accessible, because I think that I have to use TestDisk to rebuild the filesystem or to recover those files.

Thank you!!!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Problems with an external hard drive - Solutions for a newbie

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Assuming there are no bad sectors, the recommended way is to
- use TestDisk to copy your files (or at least part of them) to another disk.
- and next run "cmd" (right click Run as Administrator) and type "chkdsk /f g:".

RWK5327

inaccessible Iomega LOCK type hard drive

#3 Post by RWK5327 »

I originally posted a note in a 'reply' to the one on "Problems with an external hard drive, but it has vanished, so I'm going to try it this way.

I have an Iomega hard drive with the Lock feature. Unlocking it makes the drive visible. It unlocks but is no longer visible to File Explorer and states the drive needs to be formatted. Disk Management 'sees' it, but shows no data on it. I did try the chkdsk /f H: in the Command box, but get a reply that the file system cannot be detected, so that does not work.

I tried Recuva which found zip. Then I paid for Easeus and it showed something like 37,000 files on the drive. It did recover the folder structure quite well, but none of the video files worked, some pic folders showed thumbnail previews, but when clicked on, did not bring up the photo. Some folders showed dud icons, none of which brought up an image. Some folders worked great and brought up all its pictures.

Then I bumped into TestDisk which I never heard of and ran that. The result was amazing in a way because it seemed to bring up every file and they all worked. However the files were scattered across 509 folders named recup_dir.x. Those folders sometimes contained images from several different original folders on the drive. I have no idea how I will ever get the pics in those folders back into their original folders since the folders contain at least 500 images in most of the folders.

I'm hoping I can upload the pic I have of the PhotoRec box so you can see the image I get with it before running it.

Question 1: would the PhotoRec program work better and include the original folder structure so I don't have to work with 509 recovered folders?
Question 2: does anyone have any idea how to make the Iomega drive visible again? TestDisk made it obvious that all the files are still there and intact.

Remember, the chkdsk command won't work because it can't detect the file system.

I'm sorry to say it, but I don't have much confidence in getting an answer to the situation since I see the only reply post to the "Problems with an external drive" post was to run the chkdsk command. It's obvious that won't work.

I don't understand how to upload a pic. I see the icon that says 'insert image, but it shows a URL box and I don't know how to get the image from my desktop to that. Sorry!

recuperation

Re: inaccessible Iomega LOCK type hard drive

#4 Post by recuperation »

RWK5327 wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 16:37 I originally posted a note in a 'reply' to the one on "Problems with an external hard drive, but it has vanished, so I'm going to try it this way.
It does not make sense to me if a user reposts his issue under a different name. I moved your posting.

I have an Iomega hard drive with the Lock feature. Unlocking it makes the drive visible. It unlocks but is no longer visible to File Explorer and states the drive needs to be formatted. Disk Management 'sees' it, but shows no data on it. I did try the chkdsk /f H: in the Command box, but get a reply that the file system cannot be detected, so that does not work.

I tried Recuva which found zip. Then I paid for Easeus and it showed something like 37,000 files on the drive. It did recover the folder structure quite well, but none of the video files worked, some pic folders showed thumbnail previews, but when clicked on, did not bring up the photo. Some folders showed dud icons, none of which brought up an image. Some folders worked great and brought up all its pictures.

Then I bumped into TestDisk which I never heard of and ran that. The result was amazing in a way because it seemed to bring up every file and they all worked. However the files were scattered across 509 folders named recup_dir.x.
Be precise. You downloaded the Testdisk package and that contains Testdisk and Photorec. You did use Photorec and not Testdisk which does not rely on metadata information.

Those folders sometimes contained images from several different original folders on the drive. I have no idea how I will ever get the pics in those folders back into their original folders since the folders contain at least 500 images in most of the folders.

I'm hoping I can upload the pic I have of the PhotoRec box so you can see the image I get with it before running it.

Question 1: would the PhotoRec program work better and include the original folder structure so I don't have to work with 509 recovered folders?
You did use PhotoRec.
Question 2: does anyone have any idea how to make the Iomega drive visible again? TestDisk made it obvious that all the files are still there and intact.
No. TestDisk so far only showed you a directory, look at its content on the pictures you posted.

Remember, the chkdsk command won't work because it can't detect the file system.

I'm sorry to say it, but I don't have much confidence in getting an answer to the situation since I see the only reply post to the "Problems with an external drive" post was to run the chkdsk command. It's obvious that won't work.

I don't understand how to upload a pic. I see the icon that says 'insert image, but it shows a URL box and I don't know how to get the image from my desktop to that. Sorry!
Click on the attachment tab in the lower left corner of the page. Click on "add files" and a new windows pops up that enables you to upload files. You just have to select a files (or a couple of them) in this selector box.

You already posted pictures of the TestDisk application. The bottom of your picture 2 contains instruction how to select and save pictures found. Please copy them to a different disk and try opening them. Be aware that even if that appears logical to you there is no reason to believe that once you get perfect files from running PhotoRec and there are still readable directories you can automatically connect both.

RWK5327

#5 Post by RWK5327 »

There's some confusion here- I haven't posted any pictures yet because I did not know how. I used TestDisk that first time. I followed the directions on this site: https://www.handyrecovery.com/testdisk-review/. That's how I know I used TestDisk first.

The pics posted here were posted by the guy who posted "Problems with an external hard drive, not by me.

My post dealt entirely with the Iomega drive. The two posts are similar in the sense that both deal with an inaccessible drive. But as I said, I did not post any pics.

I am wondering, though, if I DO use PhotoRec, will I still get all those folders labeled recup_dir.x ??

RWK5327

#6 Post by RWK5327 »

No answer to my question- if I DO use PhotoRec, will I still get all those folders labeled recup_dir.x ??