SD card itself seems to have changed size...help?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
redec

SD card itself seems to have changed size...help?

#1 Post by redec »

So, I've never seen (or heard of) a card do this before. It is a 32gb Netac microsd card, formatted FAT32....it contains many GBs of photos on it. Suddenly one day it turned itself into a 2GB card, formatted FAT16. It appears to be completely healthy, no errors or anything...and it has a completely valid (but completely empty) FAT16 filesystem on there. I've tried to recover images from it using photorec but the 2gb which is readable is completely empty. The device the card was in (a camera) does not even have the ability to reformat a card to be FAT16 - it is FAT32 only. The firmware on the card itself seems to be reporting that it's a 2GB card - I can't even reformat it back to the 32GB size - all utilities (dd, ddrescue, various other imaging apps) recognize it as 2gb capacity, and will not read the full 32gb. I purchased the card as part of a 3-pack of cards, and I've tested the other 2 cards it came with and they are legitimate 32gb cards (not sketchy counterfeit cards or anything, from what I can tell). I'm at a loss....anyone have any ideas of how to read the full 32gb off the card? Thx

recuperation

Re: SD card itself seems to have changed size...help?

#2 Post by recuperation »

Please consult a professional recovery lab, do not use SD cards as a long-term storage facility and consider buying quality storage instead.

redec

Re: SD card itself seems to have changed size...help?

#3 Post by redec »

recuperation wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 07:51 Please consult a professional recovery lab, do not use SD cards as a long-term storage facility and consider buying quality storage instead.
Ok, thanks. FYI I wasn't using it as long-term storage - it's about 8 months old and was being actively used in a camera.