File Undelete with HFS?

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Saeumii

File Undelete with HFS?

#1 Post by Saeumii »

I have a Mac formatted hard drive that I accidentally deleted some files from. I tried running Disk Drill on it as soon as I realized, but the files that got deleted didn't seem to be appearing under the directory they were in. I remembered that Testdisk's File Undelete seemed to highlight deleted files in a directory in red, so I attempted to recover that way, but File Undelete apparently isn't compatible with HFS. I could resort to photorec, but from what I can tell, photorec recovers all data from a drive, without their original filenames. So I would have to sort through everything to find what I originally deleted, and I'd rather not do that. So is there any chance of File Undelete getting HFS support?

recuperation

Re: File Undelete with HFS?

#2 Post by recuperation »

When looking at the top page of cgsecurity.org

https://www.cgsecurity.org/

you find the following sentence:
TestDisk can also undelete files from FAT, NTFS, exFAT and ext2 filesystem.
hfs is not mentioned, but -

you are kindly invited to contribute code and/or donations!

Thank you.

Saeumii

#3 Post by Saeumii »

Sure, I'm just wondering why mac filesystem support hasn't been implemented when windows and linux are, whether that be due to unfamiliarity with the mac filesystem, or because of some proprietary knowledge that apple doesn't make available. Not trying to slight the dev or anything, just curious

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Saeumii wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 06:33 Sure, I'm just wondering why mac filesystem support hasn't been implemented
That is wrong. Read the link!
when windows and linux are,
Wrong. There is no general windows and linux filesystem support. Dozens of file systems are missing :shock:
whether that be due to unfamiliarity with the mac filesystem, or because of some proprietary knowledge that apple doesn't make available. Not trying to slight the dev or anything, just curious
You are writing as if there is any natural requirement to provide certain features for your system. There is no reason to justify the existence or non-existence of any feature within the Testdisk package.

Keep in mind that the day only has 24 hours and that the author of Testdisk might not have the intended time left he would like to spend on the development of Testdisk.

Running a Mac was always more expensive than running any other system.
I am afraid you will have to pay for a commercial solution now.

Saeumii

#5 Post by Saeumii »

>read the link
i refer to the Undelete feature specifically. which explicitly only mentions "FAT, NTFS, exFAT and ext2"

>there is no general windows and linux filesystem support
correct me if i'm wrong, but window's native filesystem is ntfs, and linux seems to use ext2

>you are writing as if
i'm writing with the hope that File Undelete may someday support a filesystem used by one of the biggest desktop operating systems in the world, and asking why it doesn't already. if it's a question of time or knowledge, i'd be more than happy to pay for someone to add support in someday. but if it's a matter of proprietary knowledge/industry secrets, then that's a different problem