Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged.

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
mealt

Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged.

#1 Post by mealt »

Hello together. Thank you for this great forum and also the great tool.

Please let me describe in short what happened.
I have a Host running NAS Software OpenMediaVault6 on a Virtual Machine. In OMV6 it is defined to store the data on a separate NVME disk. File Format is EXT4. The drive is not encrypted. I did never use any partitions just the full NVME.
After restarting the host the storage NVME was not visible. I went to OMV6 and without thinking wanted to mount the NVME storage disk. However I did not click on Mount but on Create and created a new EXT4 over the old one.

All my data on the NVME are not accessible any more. I ran Quicksearch via Testdisk and it only finds one partition (the new one which I created via OMV6 accidentally). In this partition I can see two folders and one file.
With Deepsearch I can find a second partition. Please see image below:

Problem here is that I can only access the second partition which gives the same folder/file result as the Quicksearch. If I open the first partition (which I assume is the one I am looking for) I get the following error: Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged.

As said the partition has no boot etc. just plain data.

Is this the chapter I want to look at? 7.7 TestDisk: repairing ext2/3/4 filesystem superblock

Because in fact I have a working EXT4 filesystem. I just want the old one.

Am I missing any info so far? Thank you

recuperation

Re: Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged.

#2 Post by recuperation »

Both partitions have the same size. They share the same space except for an offset of 2 sectors.
A partition starting at sector 2046 is not likely. Common practice is to let them start one megabyte boundaries. 2046 does not fit into that scheme.

Unfortunately I don't have hint for you.