Tips for finding a specific file

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ckronengold

Tips for finding a specific file

#1 Post by ckronengold »

Great software. Saved my butt a few times, and I'm sure it will a few more.

Any suggestions on hunting for a specific file? I deleted (rm -r) a DVR recording (.ts file) from Plex, and my re-recording failed. I ran Photorec on the drive that stored my recordings, but since its a DVR drive, Photorec found thousands of .ts files.

I thought I could search by size, since I know I was looking for a 10+gb file, but everything that Photorec found was 1.5gb and smaller. Seems that the original file I was looking for is broken up into a bunch of small .ts files. They all seem to be in the same folder, though (Recup_dir.1 - Recup_dir.59)

If I know exactly what I'm looking for, is there a better way to hunt for it other folder by folder, looking for pieces of an originally larger file?

recuperation

Re: Tips for finding a specific file

#2 Post by recuperation »

ckronengold wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 19:24 I thought I could search by size, since I know I was looking for a 10+gb file, but everything that Photorec found was 1.5gb and smaller. Seems that the original file I was looking for is broken up into a bunch of small .ts files. They all seem to be in the same folder, though (Recup_dir.1 - Recup_dir.59)
I don't understand you. "(Recup_dir.1 - Recup_dir.59)" is an enumeration of 59 folders not just one.

If the volume on the disk is fragmented your chances are diminished to find the original file in its total length.

If you already found a ts-file that belongs to that particular file that has a size of more than 10 GB you might keep the recup_dir - folder where it is located in your mind and sort the Photorec recovery folder by size. Then I would check the biggest ts-files which are in the same recup_dir-folder as your 1,5 GB piece that you already found. Afterwards I would check the neighbouring ones.

The biggest files are the most rewarding fruits to check.

I don't have a better proposal unfortunately.