OSX HFS+ accidentally double formatted twice in a row external HDD (no data written)

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Larsenio

OSX HFS+ accidentally double formatted twice in a row external HDD (no data written)

#1 Post by Larsenio »

Hi!
Im using osx and I formatted my external HFS+ HDD with 2 Tb and I accidentally formatted it twice in a row, can I recover the partition somehow with TestDisk?
I have almost recovered many files but many mp4 codec h265 are not readable and many DJI DNGs are corrupt, but I was wondering if there is a possibility of recovering the partition..
(I've been trying for almost 4 years..) - HDD isnt used anymore, no data written.
Thanks..

recuperation

Re: OSX HFS+ accidentally double formatted twice in a row external HDD (no data written)

#2 Post by recuperation »

Larsenio wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 22:04 Hi!
Im using osx and I formatted my external HFS+ HDD with 2 Tb and I accidentally formatted it twice in a row, can I recover the partition somehow with TestDisk?
The TestDisk program can find HFS partitions, but HFS+ is not mentioned. Anyway, the partition is still there as you formated it. By formating you have overwritten at least a part of its content.
The TestDisk program, to my knowledge, does not offer you repair functions within a HFS+ partition. Use PhotoRec instead or any commercial solution.
I have almost recovered many files but many mp4 codec h265 are not readable and many DJI DNGs
Avoid abbreviations. I don't understand and I don't want to guess. Thank you!!!

Larsenio

Re: OSX HFS+ accidentally double formatted twice in a row external HDD (no data written)

#3 Post by Larsenio »

recuperation wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 22:37 The TestDisk program, to my knowledge, does not offer you repair functions within a HFS+ partition. Use PhotoRec instead or any commercial solution.
I have almost recovered many files but many mp4 codec h265 are not readable and many DJI DNGs
Avoid abbreviations. I don't understand and I don't want to guess. Thank you!!!
I mean many video .mp4 with h265 codec and many raw picture files (DNG) ..

Ushavilash

#4 Post by Ushavilash »

Yes, TestDisk can potentially help recover the partition and check you're using the latest version and follow its instructions carefully for the best chance of success.