Disk Partition appears to be RAW

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ImjuzCY

Disk Partition appears to be RAW

#1 Post by ImjuzCY »

Okay, one of my hdd partition appears to be RAW after using testdisk to rewrite partition table.

On the first day, I was trying to install Windows 8 Release Preview on my laptop. During the installation, the installer says that it can't find the partition listed. I've Googled about it, and found a "solution". It says use diskpart clean command. I've followed it. And after that, in the partition select screen, it shows that my hdd is now empty. But I'm pretty sure that the diskpart clean command only cleans the partition table data, so with my Ubuntu Live CD, installed testdisk, rewritten partition table, and the Linux Filesystem, Linux Swap, and the empty partition that I need to install Windows in it, and the partition that I used to store things (should be NTFS, but shows as RAW) (with Deeper Search) had appeared. The RAW partition should be NTFS before anything happen. During the tesdisk, it shows the RAW as corrupted when listing files but I'm able to list it as PRIMARY (Structure: OK) so I selected it to be primary. After writing, Disk Manager still take it as RAW and testdisk is unable to list files (Filesystem corrupted). In Gparted (Ubuntu Live CD), the partition shows to be corrupted too and it says need chkdsk in Windows but chkdsk is unable to access RAW disk.

What can I do to recover the RAW partition, or at least copy out my files in it?

Fiona

Re: Disk Partition appears to be RAW

#2 Post by Fiona »

If the boot sector or file system is damaged, a partition appears as RAW.
Also you must be sure that you wrote your right partition to your partition table.
TestDisk often finds older partitions or remnants.
I'd need a screen shot from TestDisk / Analyse to check your currrent partition table or partition.

Fiona

ImjuzCY

#3 Post by ImjuzCY »

analyse2.PNG
Here is the screenshot. The first partition is the one that shown as RAW, it's flagged as boot before wiping the partition table. The following partition is the one with Windows installed on it. The third partition is with Ubuntu and the last one is a swap partition.

Fiona

#4 Post by Fiona »

Sry there is no screen?

Fiona