Questions on DD rescue cloning to internal harddrive

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
helgatheviking

Questions on DD rescue cloning to internal harddrive

#1 Post by helgatheviking »

i read another thread on making a clone of a failed disk with ddrescue from a linux recovery live disk like so:

Code: Select all

sudo ddrescue --force -v -r 5 /dev/sdc /dev/sdb log
my questions are:

/dev/sdc is the "bad drive" in this instance. why wouldn't i use /dev/sdc1 is that is the partition on /sdc shown by fdisk?

will i lose everything in /dev/sdb? ie will everything be overwritten by the contents of /sdc? if so, how can i avoid that? the drive i am attempting to rescue is a 500gb fantom usb and i'd like to store the contents of the image on my internal hard drive.

i've sort of pieced the following together and am wondering if it is correct. should i?

sudo mkdir /media/USB

sudo mount -t ntfs -o nls=utf8,umask 0222 /dev/sdc1 /media/USB

sudo ddrescue --force -v -r 5 /dev/sdc /media/USB/image.dd /media/USB/log

i think this was working last night, but it stalled and so i have to start again. i'm glad to have read the tip on storing the log file. finally, should i expect this to take days to copy?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Questions on DD rescue cloning to internal harddrive

#2 Post by cgrenier »

[quote="helgatheviking"]i read another thread on making a clone of a failed disk with ddrescue from a linux recovery live disk like so:

sudo ddrescue --force -v -r 5 /dev/sdc /dev/sdb log
my questions are:

/dev/sdc is the "bad drive" in this instance. why wouldn't i use /dev/sdc1 is that is the partition on /sdc shown by fdisk?

will i lose everything in /dev/sdb?
[quote]
In your example, /dev/sdc is the damaged disk and /dev/sdb the destination. Everything on /dev/sdb will be lost/overwritten.
When the destination is a disk, the source must also be a disk.
When the destination is a file, the source can be a disk or a partition.
In both case, you should always use a log file (here the file is named log) as the copy can take days or even weeks.
For a first try, instead of "-r 5" (5 retries), you may choose to use "-n" (don't split the read on error).