Can I recover from this? Topic is solved

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
PhilH

Can I recover from this?

#1 Post by PhilH »

I have a dual boot system of Windows7 and Fedora linux. I have multiple partitions formatted as NTFS so that data can be shared between OS's

Now my problem, I was quite confidently using gparted to move and resize one of these partitions --- then there was a power cut, leaving me with an apparently "stuffed" partition, (yes I should have done a backup!)

Both Windows and linux recognise that the partition exists but none of the basic OS recovery tools have helped.

I'm assuming that in the right hands data could be recovered, but this is beyond my current competence. Is there anybody here that can help?

Fiona

Re: Can I recover from this?

#2 Post by Fiona »

TestDisk works Intel and Microssoft Standard.
If you use a Bootmanager it might be possible that TestDisk overwrites thoose settings and you have to reinstall it.
I would need infos from TestDisk Analyse.
It's your current partition table.
From Quick and if your partition is not found from Deeper Search also.
If a partition is found, please check it and press p to have a try to list your files.

Fiona

PhilH

#3 Post by PhilH »

Hi Fiona

I have run Testdisk using the Deeper search and have found seemingly most if not all of the files that were in that partition. However I am uncertain how to proceed. I am reluctant to allow any writes to the disk that holds the lost partition.

Ideally I would like to copy anything I can to another spare partion. Is this the best way to proceed? I have attached the testdisk log with the hope you can provide some pointers

Phil
Attachments
log.bz2
Testdisk log
(4 KiB) Downloaded 413 times

Fiona

#4 Post by Fiona »

Yes, you can use TestDisk to copy your data first.
Afterwards you can try to recover your partition directly.
If you list your files, at the bottom of the screen you see all the commands.
First of all you should check all files, folder where you want to copy.
If you mark that 2 dots in the upper area of the screen and hit enter, you'll get a directory up until you get to your disk selection.
You can select your desired disk and if you want to go into any previously created folder for your backup, you can use your right arrow key.

If you're done, please let me know.
You can have a try to restore your partition directly.
Infos will follow.
Would need some more infos about fedora.

Fiona

PhilH

#5 Post by PhilH »

Hi

Just to let you know I have recovered everything of importance from the corrupt partition. What an incredibly useful tool.

I must admit that I found the documentation a bit bewildering, but after reading them carefully several times things did become clear. Once I'd got the data safe, I just flattened and rebuilt the partition using linux fdisk and mkfs. I've just got some sorting out to do getting files back in the right place, but that's trivial.

The data recovered was so valuable, I was going to send the drive away to get it professionally recovered, so this has saved me a fortune.

Oh and I've bought a new 1Tb drive to do backups in future. I've just learned the hard way. :(

Thanks very much for your help.

Phil

Fiona

#6 Post by Fiona »

Thanks for your feedback! :)
I'll set your topic as solved!

Fiona