How can I convert Dynamic Disk back to Basic Disk?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Juliojr14

How can I convert Dynamic Disk back to Basic Disk?

#1 Post by Juliojr14 »

I have a 320GB HDD in my laptop and accidentally made it into a Dynamic Disk. I would like to convert it back to Basic Disk without losing my data. I installed TestDisk to attempt to do this but I am not sure how or if its even possible with this software. The dynamic disk is divided into four volumes (SYSTEM, C:, RECOVERY, HPTOOLS). What I want to do is make the disk back to basic and have Partitions instead of volumes. The reason is because i want to have two operation systems but i cannot do it while my disk is dynamic. Also, this is not an external hard drive. This is the drive I am currently using to run my laptop. Will that matter?

Fiona

Re: How can I convert Dynamic Disk back to Basic Disk?

#2 Post by Fiona »

USB-protocol uses Intel Standard-Geometry of 255 heads per cylinder.
Laptops/Notebooks and 2.5 inch disks often 240 heads per cylinder.
So it might be possible that the partitions are not in sequential order anymore.
When partitions due to a geometry problem overlap, they're not recoverable anymore.
Please let me know, do you have problems to set partition for recovery or they're not listed?
Otherwise if all partitions are available for recovery, you only need to write them back to a partition table using the menu "Write".
After restart your partition should be available. because you wrote your partitions back to an Intel-partition table.
If you experience still any problems, please let me know.

Fiona

SurenSeven

#3 Post by SurenSeven »

I have the exact same problem. i cannot believe i cldn achieve what the others have so easily seemed to have with Testdisk. I have an HP laptop with win7 hp which came with 4 partitions-a system,a backup,the c drive ,and HP tools. All i did was shrink my c drive to create a new partition n damn! all my partitions went from basic to dynamic. I stumbled upon testdisk and with much excitement went ahead to give it a try n m stalled . I don't get it i cldn follow such a simple procedure or if i m doing something wrong.Please help me out. i shall be much grateful to u . i get to the part till where it says copy files,change type and i selected change type and the list of partitions appear. Mine is currently w2k dynamic/sfs. Don't know which one to choose to change back to basic ! Help from anyone is greatly appreciated .Thanks in advance. please do help!!!

SurenSeven

#4 Post by SurenSeven »

Fiona wrote:USB-protocol uses Intel Standard-Geometry of 255 heads per cylinder.
Laptops/Notebooks and 2.5 inch disks often 240 heads per cylinder.
So it might be possible that the partitions are not in sequential order anymore.
When partitions due to a geometry problem overlap, they're not recoverable anymore.
Please let me know, do you have problems to set partition for recovery or they're not listed?
Otherwise if all partitions are available for recovery, you only need to write them back to a partition table using the menu "Write".
After restart your partition should be available. because you wrote your partitions back to an Intel-partition table.
If you experience still any problems, please let me know.

Fiona
@Fiona:Thanks, i had to spend a little more time to find the "write" option" .
It only appers after you toglle with your arrow keys and make all your partitions primary or primary bootable and when u proceed to the next screen just select write and restart. Ur disks are back to basic again! ;)