Recovery from possible dynamic disk

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Mikerbice

Recovery from possible dynamic disk

#1 Post by Mikerbice »

Hi
Firstly I'm sorry to come with a question before contributing anything to the board.
I have a hunch that I am trying to recover data from a dynamic disk but I am not sure.

Testdisk is able to find a PQSERVICE partition which I believe is the recovery partition for the Acer laptop from which the computer came from.
That is now fully readable but quite useless.

When I do a quick search via Testdisk it finds another 60GB partition but without a label and it cant access the files.
Writing this table gives me a drive letter in explorer but wants me to format it.
testdisk2.png
testdisk2.png (19.49 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
In Disk Management it sees two 32GB partitions which, one with a drive letter and labeled RAW and the other as unallocated space.
diskmanagement.png
diskmanagement.png (53.42 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
This is what makes me think that maybe it's a dynamic disk.

When I do a deeper search it does start to see another parition labeled ACER which gets me excited because of course this looks like where the data is.
But when it finishes I am not able to write this partition.
testdisk3.png
testdisk3.png (18.28 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
I am hoping someone here would have some insight into what I should do next.
Thanks and again sorry for my first post being a question but I am quite desperatly needing to recover this data.

Mikerbice

Re: Recovery from possible dynamic disk

#2 Post by Mikerbice »

I wanted to give an update where I am with this recovery. I did the deeper scan again via testdisk and in stead of trying to write the partition table,which doesn't work, I listed files and recovered them directy through testdisk. This appeared to get lots of working data. I thought that was all of it but apparently still there are lots of files missing. So I'm now trying to get the rest of the files and fill in the gaps but I have no idea why they didn't recover in the first place and what I need to do now.

Fiona

Re: Recovery from possible dynamic disk

#3 Post by Fiona »

During Deeper Search your partition is already found.
Did TestDisk list your partition after Deeper Search?

Fiona