Recovery of a file without extension

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
zazimuth

Recovery of a file without extension

#1 Post by zazimuth »

Hi,

First you got a very nice software there. I have a stupid problem, and maybe someone here may have some ideas to help me out... I deleted a file which obviously I need now. The point is, this file doesn't have extension (i'm a mac user), I created this file through a bash script and as I could open it with my normal text editor I never needed to add an extension to it. Thus, it is not recognized by fidentify, and I dont know how to add the "non-extension" to the signature as explained in the FAQ...
Any help ? :/

Thanks anyway.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovery of a file without extension

#2 Post by cgrenier »

When writing a file signature, choose "custom" as extension. It's not a problem if the original file had none.

zazimuth

#3 Post by zazimuth »

Actually it doesnt work well so I guess I have some problem writing the file signature (even with the FAQ you gave :/). If my file doesnt have any extension what should I write instead of the "pfi" of the example ??
Plus, under MAcOSX, It should be in the same folder or under /Users/Me/ ?

Sorry for my naive questions, but well I really have to get this file back ! Thanks.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

zazimuth wrote:Actually it doesnt work well so I guess I have some problem writing the file signature (even with the FAQ you gave :/). If my file doesnt have any extension what should I write instead of the "pfi" of the example ??
You can choose "custom", it doesn't matter.
zazimuth wrote:Plus, under MAcOSX, It should be in the same folder or under /Users/Me/ ?
If photorec.sig isn't found in your homedir, it will be searched in the current directory.