RAID 5 partition recovery after BIOS update question Topic is solved

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ejvanals

RAID 5 partition recovery after BIOS update question

#1 Post by ejvanals »

First a shoutout to the devs of testdisk! Thank you for continuing to develop the utility.

Platform: MSI P55-GD65
Drives: Primary (C:) is non-RAID
RAID 5 drives: 3x 1TB, fully functional as best I can tell. Formatted using NTFS with 1 large partition
RAID controller used: On-board Intel P55 RAID controller
Intel RAID driver installed: latest from Intel, I can't recall the version right now.

I updated my MSI P55-GD65's BIOS the other night (now really wishing I hadn't) and on a reboot 2 of my 3 RAID5 drives showed up as non-members. I found some recovery instructions here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/478557/howto ... disk-error

That have obviously worked for some folks so after other attempts at recovering my partition, I decided to give it a try. I am finding a few odd things I am hoping folks can help with.

First question is related to the linux version of testdisk found in System Rescue CD:
http://www.sysresccd.org

When I boot into it and run testdisk it lists each of the RAID drives individually and when I pick one to analyze, it finds nothing. My question is: How do I get the linux version to recognize all 3 drives as 1 logical RAID drive? I am also using testdisk under windows, but trust linux more to not be doing anything behind the scenes to screw up the drive.

The next question is when running testdisk under win7 it sees the RAID drive and finds 1 partition, but when I actually say 'print files' it only lists 1 file, not all the directories, etc. So my question is: is there something I'm doing wrong to only get 1 file listed? Also, since it finds 1 file should I just write out the partition information? Right now I've not committed anything to the partition table aside from resetting the RAID array information in the Intel BIOS. When doing a deeper analyze it finds 1 unrecoverable FAT12 partition that looks small, but as mentioned, it seemed odd to me so I have not committed anything to any partition table.

Finally, I started running PhotoRec and it was finding a lot more files but under windows has twice hit something that causes the computer to reboot so doesn't finish. Is there a way, much like the above question, to run it under linux and see all 3 drives as 1 logical drive?

I apologize for the lack of logs; the computer is at home so can post tonight if needed.

Appreciate the help!
-Eric

Fiona

Re: RAID 5 partition recovery after BIOS update question

#2 Post by Fiona »

Did you recreate your Array using your BIOS or did you use Windows RAID-Manager-Software?
Are your disks exactly in sequential order like before your array went broke?
Did you format your array during recreation?
If yes, you'll override your previous file system.
Then you'll need datarecovery software like PhotoRec.
Please let me know.

ejvanals

#3 Post by ejvanals »

Fiona wrote:Did you recreate your Array using your BIOS or did you use Windows RAID-Manager-Software?
Are your disks exactly in sequential order like before your array went broke?
Did you format your array during recreation?
If yes, you'll override your previous file system.
Then you'll need datarecovery software like PhotoRec.
Please let me know.
Fiona -
Thanks. To answer some of your questions:
- I recreated only with the BIOS. I've done nothing in the Windows RAID management software.
- Yes, though as an aside, would that matter?
- No I haven't formatted anything.

Thanks again.
-Eric

Fiona

#4 Post by Fiona »

Would it be possible to repeat your diagnose using Windows?

I'd need infos from your disk selection, which partition table type (3x 1TB is EFI-GPT).
Need Infos from Analyse(is your current partition structur).

Further information will follow.

Fiona

ejvanals

#5 Post by ejvanals »

Will do tonight & report back. Thanks for the help.
-Eric

ejvanals

#6 Post by ejvanals »

Fiona -
I was able to find everything. I had put the raid drives on a different controller and thought I put everything back in the correct order but had not. Once I put the drives in the correct spots and recreated the array, Testdisk was able to find all the partitions and files.
Great utility!
Donation sent.
-Eric

Fiona

#7 Post by Fiona »

Thenk you for your feedback! :)
I'll set your topic as solved!