HELP TestDisk do not detect my drive, but Bios does.

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
alphane

HELP TestDisk do not detect my drive, but Bios does.

#1 Post by alphane »

Hello. I am new here and in quite a mess.

I am new to using TestDisk, to recovery procedure. I have lost access to my internal drive - I did a stupid write on my /boot and probably overwrote my mbr and partition table. I am presently running a live usb of mandriva 2011 ; I downloaded and run testdisk.

However, my one and only internal drive ( around 260 GB) is not detected by my live usb mandriva, neither by fdisk (linux), neither by testdisk. But I can see it in the Bios.

My problem is how to access my invisible drive to repair my damaged mbr ? Luckily I don't care about lost data and partition. Most are saved and I was in the process of re-installing Mandriva 2011 - which gave me a lot of problems to begin with. So now I have found what was wrong with my installing mandriva 2011 : all I need is a drive in my computer !

As I still can see my internal drive in the Bios is there hope to recover access to my 260GB drive (with or without its partitions) ? And how ?

I stopped TestDisk after the step "Select a media" as my drive is not detected and I don't know what to do. It shows:

Disk /dev/sda - 4008 MB / 3823 MiB - General USB Flash Disk
>Disk /dev/mapper/live-osimg-min - 9114 MB / 8692 MiB (RO)
Disk /dev/mapper/live-rw - 9114 MB / 8692 MiB
Disk /dev/dm-0 - 9114 MB / 8692 MiB
Disk /dev/dm-1 - 9114 MB / 8692 MiB (RO)
)

where /dev/sda is my live usb. I don't know what are the /dev/mapper and /dev/dm and whether or not they are related to my 260GB drive.

Please if anyone can help me. Is there a way to recover access to my HDD ?
:cry:
[/color]