Recovery of partition

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
dragonfly41

Re: Recovery of partition

#21 Post by dragonfly41 »

Why don't you follow advice as in links above?

With ubuntu running in pen drive ...

Read this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Run sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update

Run sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

Create boot-info summary

Post to this forum here the URL created ...

http://paste.ubuntu.com/xxxxxxx/

kiran

#22 Post by kiran »

Dear Sir,

I move ahead one step forward, I have run [MBR code] in testdisk, after that on startup I got the booting options for win XP and win 7 without any external bootable device and successfully entered into win XP as normal as it was working before my problems starts. But, choosing win 7 option gives me error
------------------------------------------
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause to fix problem

1. insert windows disk
2. language settings press next
3. Repair

status 0xC0000225

info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.
------------------------------------------

Then i tried to repair using win 7 CD but unable to repair while repairing it shows WIN 7 0 bytes.

I have attached snapshots for your reference, in which in WIN XP I have partitions C, F, G, H, I however D & E are absent and my win 7 OS is residing in partition D ( No. 2 indicated in snapshot figure - 2).

How to make partitions 2 and 3 active (green) as like another it was indicating white what's it's significance? and How to recover this because if it is recovered the WIN 7 problem may also get solved.

If it shows D for deleted then how it is showing the files inside?

Kindly help me as I am very close to my solution. I will be very very thankful to you. :) :) :)

Please follow attachment
Attachments
testdisk_1.PNG
testdisk_1.PNG (95.23 KiB) Viewed 4657 times

dragonfly41

#23 Post by dragonfly41 »

I would - as soon as possible - clone your entire /dev/sda into another new external drive at least 500gb in size.
You can use clonezilla in your ubuntu pen drive for this .. or other cloning approach.
This at least gives you a backup of your current position before proceeding with recovery.

Regarding "undeleting" your Windows 7 partition have you tried the testdisk instructions:
"Use Left/Right Arrow keys to CHANGE partition characteristics"
You will need to change from "D" (deleted) to "P" (Primary).

If testdisk can't recover your lost partition (Windows 7) you may have to run some partition recovery software in XP.
There are links posted earlier.
The link on boot-rescue may still apply after you have recovered your lost Windows 7 partition.

kiran

#24 Post by kiran »

Dear Sir,

As per your valuable guidance as I changed the partition characteristics to P - primary in testdisk then what is next step just quit or use WRITE for partition table? Please note that as changed the partition characteristic to P, the structure become BAD.

Please help !!!!

dragonfly41

#25 Post by dragonfly41 »

Advice remains .. clone the drive as soon as possible (first priority!).

Then .. if you have reached the end of line with testdisk (it seems that you have since the structure is "bad" if you choose "P") consider instead using this .. running on your Windows XP ..

http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/par ... covery.htm

After recovery you may stlil need boot-repair to get your Grub menu.

kiran

#26 Post by kiran »

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your excellent and vlauble support all the time. Now I have satisfied with the results of recovered partitions till now. I need your further support, hope you may help me in this regard.

I have a IBALL 4GB pen drive when connected to PC detect it, but when trying to open it displays message "NOT FORMATTED DO YOU WANT TO FORMAT? and if attemped to format it, prompts "COULD NOT BE FORMATTED. Is TESTDISK software can resolve this? if yes what will be the steps?

Thanks in advance

kiran

#27 Post by kiran »

Dear Sir,

As per my earlier thread, Please help me. :? :? :? :? :? :?

kiran

#28 Post by kiran »

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your excellent and vlauble support all the time. Now I have satisfied with the results of recovered partitions till now. I need your further support, hope you may help me in this regard.

I have a IBALL 4GB pen drive when connected to PC detect it, but when trying to open it displays message "NOT FORMATTED DO YOU WANT TO FORMAT? and if attemped to format it, prompts "COULD NOT BE FORMATTED. Is TESTDISK software can resolve this? if yes what will be the steps?

Thanks in advance :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Please please :) :) :) :) :) :)

dragonfly41

#29 Post by dragonfly41 »

As I understand, your first enquiry .. recovery of partition .. has been solved .
However you have not explained (for benefit of other readers) what advice/programs you finally used from this thread to recover your partition(s).
And I'll wager a bet that you haven't backed up your recently recovered data.
Now you're asking new questions in this thread which should be
marked as SOLVED
and a new thread started which others might respond to.

kiran

#30 Post by kiran »

Dear Sir,

As I already announced you that my previous problem has been sloved. and I have the complete data which is now in my 500GB HDD. I am currently running with WINDOWS XP. I officially pleased to announce that my problem has been solved. I have recovered all my data back (Partitionwise) using nice software TESTDISK by recovering partition table. I pleased to say that FIONA and YOU are the GOD for me to accomplish this.

Now I have another small issue for which I needed your valuable support. Hope you will help me. If any other details required please inform.