Hard disk formatted accedentally

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
kashif

Hard disk formatted accedentally

#1 Post by kashif »

Hi,
I am a new user here and also on Ubuntu. while installing Ubuntu, my hard disk was formatted accedentally and i lost all my data and partitions also. Now i have only ubuntu as Os and my windows installation is also deleted. I want to get my data back, but don't know where to start. I have been reading Testdisk wiki and forums here last week, but unable to understand how to proceed. Can anyone simply list down steps i need to do. e.g. do i need to recover partitions first and then files or simply files( I really don't understand from wiki :( ). also will these files saved on same place on hard disk like sectors etc or i need a separted storage to avoid any lost of data.

Regards,
Kashif

Also I don't know which forum will be appropriate, if this question in not related to this forum, please pardon me and guide me where to ask it.

kashif

Re: Hard disk formatted accedentally

#2 Post by kashif »

After posting my problem here, i have tried to use Testdisk, and it worked for me. but still there is a problem

I had 3 logical drives on my hard disk, C, D and E. I have been able to recover my data from E drive (I am not sure if some data is lost or not, but i think most of data is back). But when i try to list files from C and D partitions, it says that files systems is demaged (which should be as I installed ubuntu on it). Is there any option to recover data from these 2 drives, whose file system or file table is damaged?