GPG files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Krypt

GPG files

#1 Post by Krypt »

I have a Western Digital 3TB external drive (MyBook). It was no longer being recognized by Windows anymore. I checked with another USB/Power Adapter and still no luck. I took the drive out of the casing and hooked it up to my PC. The computer does recognize the hard drive in the BIOS as well as in Windows Disk Management. It shows as an unallocated drive though and has no drive letter assigned. I ran Testdisk on it and it analyzed the drive but said it couldn't find any partition. I then tried to run Photorec on the drive and after running, it found about 160GB worth of files. I saved them to my PC, but the files are mostly GPG files.

Is there any way to convert these GPG files to see if they are all the files that should have been on the external drive?

Is it possible to have a professional company retrieve the files from the drive? I would really like to try to get them back if possible

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: GPG files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Is your harddisk content encrypted ?
GPG signature isn't very good in PhotoRec 6.13 and older versions, it's quite common to get some false positive when the content of the disk appears random/is encrypted.

Krypt

#3 Post by Krypt »

From what I can gather from the GPG files, it means they are. I don't know how they became encrypted, but I'm also unsure how to decrypt them to see if those are the actual files. Is it possible to do that?

Krypt

#4 Post by Krypt »

Any further information on how I can open/convert those GPG files?