Bootable Linux to External Backup Drive

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
bobthepurple

Bootable Linux to External Backup Drive

#1 Post by bobthepurple »

I'm fairly certain this has been posted already, but, in case not, and so that I can find it (as my search has been unsuccessful):
- I used LinuxLive USB Creator to overwrite my external HDD and write it over with a "bootable copy of ubuntu"
- The entire drive is now formatted from NTFS to FAT32, with no files other than the bootable system files.
I am in the midst of the following:
run TestDisk
select the hard disk and the partition type (i.e. /dev/sdb, intel)
choose Advanced
select the partition (/dev/sdb)
choose Type,
enter the value corresponding to the previous filesystem (ntfs: 07)
choose Boot
choose RebuildBS <CURRENTLY WORKING>
List
Making sure the files exist, and then figuring out whether to write or not things back to the drive.

The questions I have are:
1) will this work, given that I've written a small number of files to the drive (i expect if it would, it would be minus the errors from those sectors being overwritten)
2) is there a previous example of this being documented as successful?
Thanks,

Bob

Fiona

Re: Bootable Linux to External Backup Drive

#2 Post by Fiona »

If you write anything to an accidentally formatted drive, partition disk, you'll damage the underlying file system.
If there are only some small files written, then it would be possible that TestDisk displays your files and you can copy them.
A diagnose might help to figure out, are your files listed or you receive an error message.
But it spounds, that you used LinuxLive USB Creator on purpose to overwrite your disk?
Please let me know, do you want to recover data?
Did you catch the wrong disk etc..?
After your diagnose, you can copy and paste the testdisk.log to your next post.
Please let me know which Windows-OS do you use.

Fiona

bobthepurple

Re: Bootable Linux to External Backup Drive

#3 Post by bobthepurple »

That I know, the content written to the drive was quite small relatively, although I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head exactly how much.
Yes arguably I used LinuxLive Usb Creator on purpose, but "selected" the wrong usb drive (this computer has 1 usb port, and I had the wrong drive plugged in). I'm trying to recover as much data as possible.
The rebuildbs finished this morning, and the testdisk.log would be attached, but it keeps giving me an error message "the extension txt is not allowed". So in lieu: http://pastebin.com/7XZkJcA6
As for the OS used to run LinuxLive Usb Creator, that would be windows 8.
Cheers,

Bob