3TB NTFS drive data recovery

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
prolific

3TB NTFS drive data recovery

#1 Post by prolific »

I have a 3TB seagate drive. It had a single 2.7TB usable partition. It was about 2TB full when I started getting write errors as if there were some 2TB size limit. I rebooted my computer and this drive shows up as RAW now and the data isn't accessible.

I have a Asus p8p67 motherboard and I was reading at a few places that there was a bug in the Intel Matrix Storage drivers that would cause problems after writing more than 2TB. I tried using TestDisk and it showed the drive as being a 746GB drive. I then updated to the latest Matrix Storage driver and it's showing up as a 2794GB drive in TestDisk.

Is there any way to get the drive back to NTFS and have the data be viewable? Testdisk is showing a bunch of warnings like this when doing a full scan. http://i.imgur.com/AXyJpls.jpg

novalight

Re: 3TB NTFS drive data recovery

#2 Post by novalight »

Did you happen to fix your problem I have the exact same drive and RAW data error

Fiona

Re: 3TB NTFS drive data recovery

#3 Post by Fiona »

It's a dangerous thing to format a 3 TB disk as an Intel MBR disk.
But it's only a suspicion?
As an example;
If you create an Intel MBR partition up to 3 TB only the first 2.2 TB will be supported.
If you write over that limit, it might be possible that windows starts writing from the beginninig of the disk.
In case it might be possible that data at the beginning of your disk will be overridden.
But often it crashes before windows can start writing at the beginning of the disk.
To figure it out, I'd need some info about your current situation.
Would it be possible to run testdisk and Analyse, Quick and Deeper Search?
If your correct partition (for example you can recognize it through your disk label) you can jump to the end of the partition by pressing F (upper case).
TestDisk will jump to the end of that partition and it saves time scanning your large disk.

Please copy and paste the content of your testdisk.log.
You'll find it in your testdisk folder and you can open it using any word processor like wordpad.

Fiona