Need some help.

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Staceylr83

Need some help.

#1 Post by Staceylr83 »

Alright, I'm trying to fix my friends laptop. Somehow, ALL drives are unpartitioned, went to reinstall Windows, obviously since they aren't partitioned, I would have to format them, which I know will wipe them clean. Problem is, all her sons baby photos are on there, and she's freaking out. I've never used this program, and what I need to know is, I've put (TestDrive/PhotoRec) on my flash drive, literally, all I want to recover are the photos, then I can format. When I select to boot from a USB Storage Device, it does nothing. Is there any way I can run the program without any drives being partitioned? There are 3 drives, 2 primaries and a media storage something or other. If more information is needed I will definitely be checking back often and provide what I am able to make this happen for her. Thanks in advance.

DSpider

Re: Need some help.

#2 Post by DSpider »

You can boot on a Live Linux (CD or USB) and use then Testdisk/Photorec without mounting any partition.

Staceylr83

#3 Post by Staceylr83 »

Alrighty, got it running now. Thanks. It the time for completion keeps going way up. Right now is says 190 hours - is that normal??

DSpider

#4 Post by DSpider »

Well testdisk does not take so long, but Photorec can take more than that (e.g : i have start it one week ago without interruption, and it still says 8 hours left).

So just be patient.