TestDisk finds my EXT4 partition but can't recover it Topic is solved

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
vicseller

TestDisk finds my EXT4 partition but can't recover it

#1 Post by vicseller »

Hi all,

This forum has been amazing but I am haven't been able to recover directories lost on an EXT4 partition.

Some background:

I have a 500gb Seagate drive that had two partitions, one EXT4 for my Linux backups and one NTFS In addition, I have a main drive (an SSD) with multiple partitions on it that has my main OS - Ubuntu 12.10. I wiped the main drive to install Windows 7 ensuring that it was the SSD and not the Seagate. After the install was complete, it asked me to reboot. I did that and Windows wouldn't boot and suggested I attempt to repair the install. I did so, again pointing the process to the SSD.

Before this point, the Seagate only had one EXT4 partition with my backups on it. In addition, I had placed some last minute folders - the ones that were sitting on the Desktop of the Ubuntu install on the SSD - onto the Seagate.

Back to Windows attempting the repair. It took a few minutes then asked me to reboot. Rebooting started Windows 7 correctly. I did what I needed to do on Windows and then prepared to install Ubuntu 13.04 back on the SSD as a dual-boot. Everything went great. Booting up either OS worked perfectly.

I then went to grab the files I had backed up on the Seagate EXT4 partition. To my horror. The 300gb partition was no where to be found. In its place, I found a small NTFS partition with some useless files on it. I immediately stopped using the system and have since been logging in using an Ubuntu LiveCD to avoid any unnecessary complication.

I have used TestDisk before to recover a lost partition. In this case, using TestDisk, I am able to find the missing EXT4 partition only if I use either the EFI GPT or None options. The Intel option is unable to find it.

Using the EFI GPT option, finds the directories but is unable recover them complaining that the file system is damaged. Using the None option, it also finds it but does not allow recovering it.

I can upload any logs or additional screenshots if needed. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

DSpider

Re: TestDisk finds my EXT4 partition but can't recover it

#2 Post by DSpider »

Here is the answer : http://forum.cgsecurity.org/phpBB3/file ... t2147.html, testdisk is unable to recover ext4 lost partitions. Try with photorec to recover individual files.

vicseller

Re: TestDisk finds my EXT4 partition but can't recover it

#3 Post by vicseller »

Thank you for the information.