Thank you, Christophe

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
CPRRepair

Thank you, Christophe

#1 Post by CPRRepair »

I registered an account on your forum here just to tell you thank you.

I spent the last few days desperately trying to recover some extremely important data when the hard drive failed. I tried every possible file recovery application that I could find, both Windows- and Linux-based. I was about to give up entirely, after countless hours of having no luck, even with the utilities that came so highly recommended, e.g. Spinrite and Scalpel.

Then I stumbled across a website that mentioned PhotoRec, which is something I hadn't yet tried. As soon as I started PhotoRec, it just WORKED! When no other utility had any luck seeing any files at all on the drive, PhotoRec is pulling hundreds of files off the drive.

I don't understand what your application does that others can't seem to do, but thank you, thank you, thank you for your hard work in putting this program together.

CPRRepair

Re: Thank you, Christophe

#2 Post by CPRRepair »

Incidentally, PhotoRec, in the end, was able to recover almost 200GB of data, when no other piece of software I tried could go beyond recognizing where the original partitions once were. I don't have the technical knowledge to understand specifically how PhotoRec works that is different from the way other recovery applications works, but it did do what nothing else could do.